"carry over" pack

Dustin_B

I'm looking for a carry over pack in the 2500 in^3 size range. I think I've narrowed it down to three packs. The Cold Cold World 'Valdez', the Marmot 'Eiger', and the Wild Things 'Roc Sac' (possibly the Black Diamond 'Stone Pack' too). I need to able to rock/ice climb with this pack on so helmet clearance with the top of the pack (when looking up) is important. I like the foam and/or removable stay for this and I believe all the packs I mention have this. Of course weight is a concern too. Does anyone have opinions on any of these packs? Thanks in advance. confused.gif

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Wild Things Ice Sac that I really like for carry overs and pretty much has all the features you mentioned. Check it out. I think both Pro Mountain Sports and Feathered Friends carrys them.

Yeah, I looked into the Ice Sac, even tried it out at PMS. It is just bigger than I need. I already have a ~3500 in^3 pack that weighs about 4 lbs. I want something smaller and lighter. Thanks for the advice though.

I recently picked up an arcteryx Khamsin 38. Like it a lot, very comfy, very light, carries pretty well, climbs even better, removable frame sheet and weighs less than 3 lbs. Being made from spectra, I don't expect it to last forever, but, I don't climb enough to wear it out anytime soon.

it carries and climbs better than my BD Icepack, which is real similar to the stone pack except the tubes and crampon pouch.

don't know much about those others. fruit.gif

ccw valdez is a great pack - love mine! wild things packs are nice too, but the lids are enough to make me not buy them madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif. if someone knows why the openings on the lids are as small as possible, please tell me.

for something more analogue, check this out.

freeclimb9 - when you say "angled", are you speaking of that fancy themo-moulded padding used in produciton packs?

I've used the Marmot Eiger as carry over for several years - nice light pack. However, Marmot keeps changing it a little - I tried one on last year that a section of the shoulder straps that continue behind you neck - I found this uncomfortable. Load it up in the store and give it a try, YMMV.

word round here is that the Ice Sack is not what it used to be (i.e. a few years ago?) confused.gif

I think that has to do with materials. Also note that the ice sac is simple to compress. If that's too much maintenance for the diversity well.. get something else. I've used it in so many situations I am convinced it is a great pack.

I do hear lots of good things about Cold Cold world. THey must be good. bigdrink.gif

word round here is that the Ice Sack is not what it used to be (i.e. a few years ago?) confused.gif

This topic was discussed b/4. Wild Things has replaced the "shitty" material with a stiffer stronger material. I sent my "old" version back to them for replacement. They did this with no arugment. I have the "new" version and believe it will take years of abuse. I showed it to Caveman the last time we were out and he was in agreement about the new material.

Another pack that I bought because it it SIMPLE is a rock climbing sac by a company in Squamish called On Site. This pack is one big sac. No pockets, no daisey chains, etc. It is ballistic cloth, top flap with a storage area, removable waist band and ability to stuff shoulder straps out of way so you can haul the pack and a bivy pad. Inside bottom is yellow so you don't have the black hole effect. Cost was $99.00 in Canada when I bought it who knows what it costs now.

I think that has to do with materials. Also note that the ice sac is simple to compress. If that's too much maintenance for the diversity well.. get something else. I've used it in so many situations I am convinced it is a great pack.

I do hear lots of good things about Cold Cold world. THey must be good. bigdrink.gif

Cold Cold World Cherynoble At $150 it looks pretty nice.

dustin:

I also noticed Golite has a new sub 1lb pack set up for "peak baggin" in the most recent catologe, but not on the website. Only has one ice axe loop, but, on those occasions you need 2 ice tools, you can rig something. You might check it out, I have a Golite breeze that isn't really what you want for climbing (no waist belt, no ice axe loop on mine, no compression system) but this one looks promising. It's called the "Dawn Pack" and is sized right at 2500 ci. $79 cheap too! I don't really care for the mesh pockets, though, they tend to fill with snow when glissading and because theres no padded back pannel, you can actually get stuff wet in your pack from your smelly back sweat. But, I haven't had any durrablility issues.

I know some people don't like their stuff cause it's designed for "hikers" but, the stuff I've used has been cheap and impressivly durable considering the lightweight designs and low price. I'm sure if they simply doubled thier prices and called it climbing gear, it would be all the rage. That's my rant for the day. moon.gif

Actually, your sweat will not soak through the pack unless Golite uses non-waterproof fabric, which I highly doubt. I must say, I can't stand frames in daypacks, but a foam pad is light, versatile, and improves the pack by a huge margin for the weight. When I have enough money I want to try the Gust sometime.

Thanks for all the good beta on packs. I just ordered the Cold Cold World Valdez. I've got to find out for myself if all the hype is true. I'm having them do some modifications to the pack for me so I don't have to do it myself (I'm no Martha Stewart). They are doing 5 different modifications free of charge. The price quoted for this pack on the website is $115. With shipping, the total is $121. I think I am getting exactly what I want so I consider this a pretty good deal. They said it would take 1-2 weeks plus shipping. Not to bad for a semi-custom pack eh? I'll post again when I get the pack and have a chance to try it out. yeehaw. grin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Dustin_B said:

Thanks for all the good beta on packs. I just ordered the Cold Cold World Valdez. I've got to find out for myself if all the hype is true. I'm having them do some modifications to the pack for me so I don't have to do it myself (I'm no Martha Stewart). They are doing 5 different modifications free of charge. The price quoted for this pack on the website is $115. With shipping, the total is $121. I think I am getting exactly what I want so I consider this a pretty good deal. They said it would take 1-2 weeks plus shipping. Not to bad for a semi-custom pack eh? I'll post again when I get the pack and have a chance to try it out. yeehaw. grin.gif

Got the pack in the mail on Friday. They nailed all the modifications I asked for (did I mention for free). Carried 30+ lbs in it on a hike on Saturday. Carried remarkably well. I'll post a review when I've had a chance to use it on a technical rock or ice climb. As a summitposter might say, "this pack looks like it will kick ass"... yelrotflmao.gif