Petzl Leopard Crampons

mzamp

Anyone have experience with these?  My wife just scored a free pair.  almost 1kg lighter than her steel M10s.  We are headed to climb Rainier, but I am worried this won't be sufficient.  Although we are just doing the DC route and not any steep ice.  TIA for any info.

image.png.4ed9a2016a48059dcbcd01d3e61d213d.png

I have a pair and they'll be fine on the DC route.  Snow balling could be an issue.  One other tip is that the cord on the bottom stretched out the first time I used mine and had to be adjusted.  Be sure they're adjusted tightly and you shouldn't have an issue.

• Like 1

I've used the semi-steel version of these (Irvis Hybrid) on Wy'east with ski boots (set up as step-in) and on East Wilmans Spire with hiking boots (set up as strap-on). They performed really well with the ski boots and were less than ideal with hiking boots. That has more to do with the hiking boots, though a stiffer crampon probably would have been better.

With a rigid boot you'll probably be okay, but if it's icy the AL won't grip as well and if it's too mushy you'll have balling issues (although you mentioned you're planning on getting the anti-balling plates).

• Thanks 1