Diamond Peak Condition Questions Round 2

dyl206

Summer is finally here!

With that being said I've been itching to go up Diamond Peak. I tried to go over memorial day via pioneer gulch, but the road to the trailhead was still pretty deep with snow and didn't want to risk getting stuck by myself so I turned around and went up Mount Bailey instead (A hike I would highly recommend). Been a lot of hot days since then and I am wondering if anyone has gone up recently. Is there still a lot of snow on the road or on the mountain? Should I bring an ice axe, crampons, or helmet?  

Thanks!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring your skis!!! One of my favorite backcountry skiing destinations! 

Seriously, bring like a GALLON of FULL STRENGTH (100%) DEET! The clouds of skeeters there *can be* LEGENDARY!!! 

*can be means in 5 trips, all in May/June, I've seen everything from zero mosquitoes to us not being able to get ready at the TH since they were swarming us. 

Always bring at least your ice axe and helmet anywhere a slip could lead to a long slide, and if you're early enough, you may need your crampons. I like to sleep in however, so I've only needed them once in 5 trips, but I REALLY needed them then! 

Pro Tip: Park in Section 3 and climb past Corrigan Lake and the west side of the peak to the summit - saves you ~400 feet of climbing and the 'schwacking isn't bad. When in doubt, just head UP! Good luck and post your photos back here!