[TR] Mt Hood summit 6/24/18 - Old Chute 06/24/2018

Highimphilip

Trip: Mt Hood summit 6/24/18 - Old Chute

Trip Date: 06/24/2018

Trip Report:

I left the car at 1:05am and was on the Mt Hood summit at 7:02am.   There was no wind and it started to warm up quick today.

What was interesting is the big crevasse on the old chute.  You can kind of see it in the photo.  It is quite large.  I had to go way left to get around it. Some guys went over the snowbridge but I didn't feel safe doing that and they went really early in the morning almost before sunrise.  I don't ever remember seeing a crevasse on the old chute before.  I went up the mazama chute and on way down across the ridgeline and down the old chute. Then, way left around the crevasse. Decent amount of people for a weekend and good weather but, not too many that they slowed you down or anything. 

Gear Notes:
crampons, ice axe poles.

Approach Notes:
old chute

IMG_1761 (2).JPG

IMG_1763 (2).JPG

IMG_1764 (2).JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1767 (2).JPG

IMG_1768 (2).JPG

IMG_1769 (2).JPG

IMG_1771 (2).JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

Edited by Highimphilip

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done! That's real interesting; I saw a photo of the crevasse from a month ago and was also really surprised. I went two weeks ago and couldn't see much (white out) despite thinking about it, but I did cross over someone's footstep that seemed bottomless. Went pretty much straight up, definitely not left. I wonder if it's opening and closing as the glacier flows.

P6160291.thumb.jpg.4762af66fcb4aa12b0cf73bbe283ffb5.jpg

Topmost climbers in your second photo look like they're humping.

Edited by nonbasketless
lol

nonbasketless Thanks for the response, well done too.  Interesting photo.  Yeah, i've been going the last 5 years and have never seen a crevasse on the old chute. I guess it changes year to year.  Almost everyone went way left to get around it. A couple people went right to get around it but left was not as steep. 

I hope this crevasse is just this year and not like this every year on the old chute. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...