Climb/Ski Mt. Baker, or, Rainier again...

lisa

I'm was out last week on an overnight ski trip enjoying freshies and I am looking to do it again this weekend. I would like to climb and ski and am thinking Mt. Baker Coleman/Deming or, Rainier Camp Hazard/Kautz. This maybe to early to tell if the weather will hold that long but thought I would throw out the idea, others are welcome!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is funny Lisa, I was just wondering where you were today. I wasn't sure why I have not often seen you here. I figured you had better things to do like go skiing. Sounds good. I wonder if I could get away. Kinda short notice for me. Fri/sat or sat/sun? It is supposed to get sunny and stay that way all week. probably won't be good for the snow. If it warms up tho it might corn up for the descent. How would that affect the crevasse danger and is there a potential for icefall this time of year in these conditions? Is it possible to skin all the way on Baker or would you put on crampons at the Roman Wall?

Sounds like it will be Baker, easier for others and no costly fees.

The forecast looks sweet, the Roman wall will probably be icy, no worries. I believe the road is snow covered 3 miles from the trailhead, a good warm up before entering the woods.

We will be out two nights, there are four of us going so far. 2 from Whistler and one moving out here from Veil.

Have you been touring much billygoat?

Do you mean overall or just lately? About 80% of what I did the eleven years I lived in Colorado was tour. Now that I have been out here for the last seven plus it is reversed; 80% on piste (too hard to match kick wax to this cascade concrete). I just did some on and off piste all last week up at Sun Peaks in BC but that was like being back in Colo. This year has been poor condition wise and I have been busy but I did Inter-Glacier (two laps) in a day this past July and one day I was up doing numerous, epic early season powder shots on the far back of Table Mountain this past December before everything turned manky. Other than that, just some on piste at Bakehead and Whistler last season. My usual the last couple years have been overnighters out to Coleman Pinnacle and various overnighters up and off hwy20 including Silver Star which we dubbed "the Marquis du Ski" for the heinous approach. The long and short, I have all the gear and know how to use it, I'm just not in bomber shape. I might be at the back of the pack but I suffer well. I'll start cranking out the work and hopefully free up the weekend. Fri/Sat would be better for me but if it doesn't work out this time I would still be interested in going soon. You seem serious about backcountry touring which sounds good to me. How often do you get out...? bigdrink.gif

• 3 weeks later...