Birdy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

leejams said:

haven't been to smith yet, but I gotta get down to see that circus. Screaming infants cry.gif barking dogs madgo_ron.gif and people claiming routes for there personal use pitty.gifsnaf.gif sounds like quite the show yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

lee it is quite worth it.

the area is quite nice.

also when the sun comes out soooo do the hotties!!

plus the climbing is great!

i like dog fights, there is always like 20 humans and two dogs. i just laugh!

I feel that as a former dog owner and trainier I would like to say that in MOST cases it's not bad dogs just bad owners. It's fun for me to see a dog trotting along the trail like it's in Paradise, but they DO tend to want to sniff around, walk on ropes ( madgo_ron.gif) and shit wherever they please. Lets face it, places like Smith are getting more crowds every year, and I'm talking both gawking tourists as well as climbers, and there's nothing we can do about it. I've been going to Smith for 8 years now, and so far, IMHO, I would say that the dogs of climbers are generally well tempered. I could only guess as to why.

I don't know for shure, but I think few tourists that come there understand the danger to the climber if the belayer gets distracted while worrying about their own skin. I was at Smith only two weeks ago, belaying when two Rotts (I mention their breed only because they're large) came running off trail straight at me and over the rope. The owner (I assume he was) didn't say or do a F#$@!*$ thing about it. Since my partner was on the crux of a 5.12 neither did I, except to glare at the stupid imbecile of human trash that owned them. Pheww, glad I got that off my chest. I feel much better guys. thx bigdrink.gif

I can't think of a positive experience I've had with a dog on the trail (and I am, by most counts, a dog lover). A classic experience happened just a couple of weeks ago when a dog came bounding up the trail way ahead of it's owner with a stick in it's mouth just begging for it to be thrown. Cool....I thought....I'll chuck this thing so far back down the trail I'll be free of the beast for at least 10 more minutes. Just as I'm winding up the dog's owner starts screaming "DON'T THROW THE STICK!!!" WTF??? Turns out the dog had a medical problem and shouldn't run that much. But wouldn't you think a dog like that should be on a leash to prevent such 'close calls' if it's that gawdawfully important?

RE barking dogs at Smith: I would really rather listen to the parrot lady there bitchin at everbody around her over some dog that's just barking to hear it's own brain rattle...and bitchy women REALLY bother me.

Damn, I just a chipper chap this morn...............

Edited by Thinker

I agree. I tell the owner, you see the tail, all I see are the teeth. Then I point my trekking poles at the dog's head and turn around as the dog circles me to make sure that the dog doesn't get any nasty ideas about coming from behind. The poles usually keep the dog at a distance.

Yeah, I always use the poles like that too. It's the occasional mutt that gets testy about it and tries to get through the poles and to me that I'm talking about.

One time I walked past some people breaking camp. I heard a scream and turned just in time to see a mad looking dog running at me and about ready to launch. My poles don't have baskets on em, and I was fully ready to skewer the bitch. He stopped at the last minute. I swear I would've rammed my poles as far into him as possible. I love dogs at home; hate em in the mtns.

Sphinx, what's with using Dwayner's image? You're a big Xerox pussy (copy cat).

Mentioning muts, my neighbor's pit bull just tried to take my hand off yesterday. He was barking at me like I was some kind of stranger, even though I've pet him before many times while he was out on a leash. Yesterday, my neighbor decided that he'd put a stop to the barking and show me what a sweet dog his pit bull is, and so he took me inside the fence, then held his dog's collar while I pet it. Then I stood back and my neighbor let go the collar. That's when this dog went nuts and lunged at my hand. Fortunately, I was alert to the potential. I got my hand out of the way and put my foot into his chest before he knew what hit him. His owner then made an attempt to establish the pecking-order and threw the dog (not small) on his back and wrestled him down.

Then he tells me that the dog has attacked two other dogs and a horse. He lures them in playfully, then just snaps psychotically. I'm the first human he's attacked. I hope he puts that dog down, but I know he brings children around it. I fear something terrible will happen. Watch the papers, friends.

pope said:

Sphinx, what's with using Dwayner's image? You're a big Xerox pussy (copy cat).

'Cause it's the best Sphinx avatar image around. Does he have copyright laws on it? Will he sue me? No sweat, I'll thank him for the image. bigdrink.gif

BTW, when I find a better image, I'll use that. boxing_smiley.gif