Dogs?

Birdy

Fejas said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Fejas said:

I don't know what the big deal is... I will never leash my dog any where that is not in the city, or at a dog haters crib... Its the dogs given right as a creature of the earth to roam where it damn well pleases... next you all will want us to put a leash on our kids because they happen to wonder a foot off the trail to look at a flower, or to pick huckle berries... My dog is as respectful as any human I have encountered on a trail... she gets off the trail and let people pass her with out triping, stalling, or bothering them... if it is kosher and the person talks to her she will then say hi, and go over for a nugde and a pat on the head... so get over it already... cantfocus.gif

I know a 6 year old kid that is in my sons class that is petrified of dogs beyond all reason. I think he would disagree. Dogs are dogs not people. Last season we were goofing off at the collunms with a guy that we knew and his dog who we had all been arround many times. The dog halled off and bit my 4 year old in the face for no aparent reason. no damage was done, but it scared the crap out of all of us. Please leash your dog.

My dog is more respectful and obeys beter than my wife... I would feel safer with her on a leash and my dog at my side... and as I said before my dog gets out of the way... she is smarter than most people I know... bigdrink.gif

I hope your wife reads this wink.gif

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

don't get me wrong I don't think all dogs should just run rampid... just like I don't think all humans should run rampid, thats why the ones that bite are in prison... or are on their merry little way there... But taking a perfacty well trained and behaved dog and binding them and restricting them when they haven't done anything wrong is redickulass... cheeburga_ron.gif...

Fejas said:

Fejas said:

I don't know what the big deal is... I will never leash my dog any where that is not in the city, or at a dog haters crib... Its the dogs given right as a creature of the earth to roam where it damn well pleases... next you all will want us to put a leash on our kids because they happen to wonder a foot off the trail to look at a flower, or to pick huckle berries... My dog is as respectful as any human I have encountered on a trail... she gets off the trail and let people pass her with out triping, stalling, or bothering them... if it is kosher and the person talks to her she will then say hi, and go over for a nugde and a pat on the head... so get over it already... cantfocus.gif

I know a 6 year old kid that is in my sons class that is petrified of dogs beyond all reason. I think he would disagree. Dogs are dogs not people. Last season we were goofing off at the collunms with a guy that we knew and his dog who we had all been arround many times. The dog halled off and bit my 4 year old in the face for no aparent reason. no damage was done, but it scared the crap out of all of us. Please leash your dog.

My dog is more respectful and obeys beter than my wife... I would feel safer with her on a leash and my dog at my side... and as I said before my dog gets out of the way... she is smarter than most people I know... bigdrink.gif

I hope your wife reads this wink.gif

She'd agree... she'd probable say that our dog is more respectful and better behaved than I am...

Fejas said:

don't get me wrong I don't think all dogs should just run rampid... just like I don't think all humans should run rampid, thats why the ones that bite are in prison... or are on their merry little way there... But taking a perfacty well trained and behaved dog and binding them and restricting them when they haven't done anything wrong is redickulass... cheeburga_ron.gif...

Look I realy LIKE DOGS. If you read back on this thred you will see me in suport of seeing well trained well behaving dogs on any trail at any time. But dogs are DOGS. The dog that snapped at my kid was a perfectly nice normal dog that for some resaon or other had had enough at that moment. PLEASE READ MY AUTO SIG!!!!

THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS. but for the most part, dogs should be on a leash, for the same reason I hold my kids hands when we cross the street tongue.gif

Look I realy LIKE DOGS. If you read back on this thred you will see me in suport of seeing well trained well behaving dogs on any trail at any time. But dogs are DOGS. The dog that snapped at my kid was a perfectly nice normal dog that for some resaon or other had had enough at that moment. PLEASE READ MY AUTO SIG!!!!

THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS. but for the most part, dogs should be on a leash, for the same reason I hold my kids hands when we cross the street tongue.gif

Good point, but still my dog is an adult and if she is dumb enough to chase a squeril off of a cliff then more power to her, I'll catch her on the flip side... I put her on a leash some of the time just not when we are in the woods or in the country or when we're just walkin' down to the market to make a beer run... I do leash her however when we are some where crowded... or where I may not be able to keep an eye on her...

bigdrink.gif

from web page

Golden Gate National Recreation Area (CA)

Two Canine Rescues

On the morning of January 5, ranger Lopez-Milano received a report that a visitor's dog was stuck on one of the sandstone cliffs above the Pacific Ocean at Fort Funston. The visitor said that he was walking his dog off-leash when it disappeared over the cliff edge. He saw that the dog made it to the bottom of the cliff and was dodging large waves that were hitting the base of the cliff. When a friend went to rescue the 50-pound dog, he and the dog became stranded half way up. Ranger Eddy was lowered to the pair and outfitted both in harnesses (the dog's was specially-designed for such rescues). All were then raised to the top. Ranger Warmerdam received a similar report the next afternoon less than a mile north of the first incident. This time, the dog was alone on a tiny shelf on an unstable 100-foot cliff above the ocean. The 120-pound bull mastiff, named "Astro," had become stranded there while wandering off leash. The owner said that she saw the dog disappear over the cliff edge and had called for help. Warmerdam was lowered to "Astro," outfitted the dog in a large dog harness, and raised it to the top. Lopez-Milano was IC. The park has an ongoing problem with dogs off leash in all areas, and has had a concomitant increase in dogs and visitors falling off the cliffs at Fort Funston. Rangers have purchased, trained with, and employed two sizes of specialized dog harnesses in response to this upswing in canine rescues. Citations are regularly issued to rescued visitors in these cases. Warnings and citations are being used to address the issue of dogs off leash.

Cpt.Caveman said:

my dog whines, barks, chases goats and other wild animals, shortcuts switchbacks, shits on the trail and all designated campgrounds, intimidates other dogs including fights, and chews on peoples' unattended packs.

I guess it's true what they say about dogs taking on the personality traits of their owners. grin.gif

When I'm in the trailhead areas I leave my dog on her leash, but when we "get-on-down-the-road" a ways I let her loose. She always stays in sight (usually not more than 30 yards in front or behind me) and will always come when I call her. And I do not have a problem scooping up after her just like I don't have a problem scooping up after myself on a climb; it's not pretty but the alternative is far worse in my opinion.

Just my two-cents,

Craig

Here is a picture of her and I on our Paradise Park trip on Hood this last summer. Aint she cute! smile.gif Sorry, can't do anything about the ugly guy next to her frown.gif

142349-Paradise-01.jpg.477b8bbd5be08098891a9fb8d4c2e9b6.jpg

Edited by CraigA

Toast said:

As much as I love dogs and love to see them liberated out in the woods and free spaces... Dogs just don't belong on hiking trails unleashed.

It's not their fault, and it's really their humans that I have a problem with. These are the jerks who can't control their canines, who won't pick up their poo, and feel it's their god given right to let their dogs tear up and down the trails, ripping up the underbrush, chasing after critters, jumping up and smearing mud and slobber over unsuspecting people who they encounter.

That's right. Never forget -- the outdoors, like everplace else, is about PEOPLE. God put it there for people to enjoy, and if animals, whether they're dogs, bear, cougars, or snafflehounds, infringe on anyone's outdoor experience, banish 'em. Shoot 'em, kill 'em, or fine the hell out of anyone who has the audacity to bring their animal into YOUR backcountry. Remember, it's all about YOU.

Putting a leash on your dog will not necessarily prevent it from biting some kid in the face when said kid walks up and starts grabbing said dog's ears in a game of peek-a-boo.

I've had my dogs nicely leashed and anchored well away from the crowds on the backside of Smith only to have some dipshit parent allow their kid to walk over and start fucking with them. Parents need to leash their kids to prevent them from intruding on my golden retriever's nature experience. All he wants to do is chill out, dream of eating kitty roca and try not to think about his arthritis.

I've been bit in the face by a yellow lab puppy. It was my own damn fault for sticking my ugly mug in his space and scarring him for life. Who's to blame in htis situation? Me.

Take responsibility for your actions folks. Be respectful. When that fails, 9mm handgun evens the playing field.

• 1 month later...

Dogs definately belong on the trail. My wife and I take ours everywhere. It seems people really enjoy seeing them. They are very well behaved though, well socialized, don't bark, and come when called. we are not as good as we should be about leashes though. I do really like nothing less than to see a big pile of poop, dog, horse or other, in the middle of the trail.

To owners, dogs are like little angels. They can't understand how anybody else could not like them. It's the same way with kids too- a kind of tunnel vision that prevents people from objectively seeing other people's point of view. Get this, I DON'T LIKE MEETING YOUR DOG ON THE TRAIL!!!! Every time it's the same ritual. Dog runs up to me at a full gallop. I'm thinking "Is he going to bite?" I stop in my tracks. The dog either runs past me or stops and stiffs my crotch. The owner says, "Oh, he's friendly. He never bites". I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. madgo_ron.gif

catbirdseat said:

To owners, dogs are like little angels. They can't understand how anybody else could not like them. It's the same way with kids too- a kind of tunnel vision that prevents people from objectively seeing other people's point of view. Get this, I DON'T LIKE MEETING YOUR DOG ON THE TRAIL!!!! Every time it's the same ritual. Dog runs up to me at a full gallop. I'm thinking "Is he going to bite?" I stop in my tracks. The dog either runs past me or stops and stiffs my crotch. The owner says, "Oh, he's friendly. He never bites". I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. madgo_ron.gif

so take a gun already. rolleyes.gif

i totaly love dogs but the other day at index, this dog just wouldn't stop barking, and her owner, which was secounding up aries, was like oh she just barks and dosn't bite, so i though ok fine and started for aries crack, about 2 steps in the dog goes nutts and lowers to the ground baring all her teeth hellno3d.gif, at this point i stop dead in my tracks. back up and go back to the main trail and wait a few, but the dog is still going nutts after a few minutes my parner and i decide its not worth getting bit and leave. the funny thing is the other dog that was there was totaly cool and just wantted to be petted but her friend was quite the bi###. so all in all

my two cents is

laid back dogs=cool as hell rockband.gif

dogs that u know bark at people and arn't to frendly well they sould probly stay at home. or at least tired up when u cant personaly restrain em.

Geek_em8.gif