Dogs?

Birdy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its amazing, i swear that my dogs could get away with more nonsense than my kids could (if i had kids) something about dogs, specially big dumb ones like chinook... when they do something bad you just say "Awww, its just chinook, hes big and stupid" perhpas i find that ihave something in common with him or its the unconditional love thing, very odd.

As much as I love dogs and love to see them liberated out in the woods and free spaces... Dogs just don't belong on hiking trails unleashed.

It's not their fault, and it's really their humans that I have a problem with. These are the jerks who can't control their canines, who won't pick up their poo, and feel it's their god given right to let their dogs tear up and down the trails, ripping up the underbrush, chasing after critters, jumping up and smearing mud and slobber over unsuspecting people who they encounter.

The other thing is, dog safety. I have two friends who took their dogs out on an exposed hike. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but the dogs ended up chasing themselves right off a several hundred foot cliff. Not cool, and it was pretty much their stupidity that led to the deaths of their dogs. hellno3d.gif

the last time I was in the Chair Peak bowl above Source Lake and there were lots of bloody footprints from dogs. Owners should take care of their pets to make sure they don't get injured. frown.gif

I have a friend who takes his dogs along with us often, and occasionally they get bloody paws, and leave red spots all over the snow. It seems to bother the humans a lot more than the dogs - the dogs usually aren't even aware of it.

Here's my two cents. Take your dogs and bring them wherever you want, off their leash. The little shitzus and poodles will get eaten by the big dogs or fall off the cliffs. I haven't met a dog yet on the trail that annoyed me or gave me any trouble. If I had a dog, I'd take him to Si and take off the leash. As far as barking dogs, well I guess I agree there... they do take away from the peace and serenity. Here's a good one, duck hunting at the Potholes: We're there freezing our butts off in the morning, sitting and waiting with the decoys out. The silence is very peaceful. Then a dog lets out maybe two barks, nothing much. And then, booming loud all over the damn place is the dog owner screaming, "SHUT THE F-K UP YOU G-DAMN PIECE OF S-T DOG!" on and on this dude hollered. We wisely chose to move somewhere far away.

Those shortcuts on switchbacks are caused by global warming and the WWF. Show me the study if you say it's the dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Catbirdseat said, "Have you ever noticed how trails that have switchbacks have false trails continuing out straight from the end of each switchback? They are caused by dogs off-leash who don't know enough to make the turn. I sure wish everyone would just keep their dogs on leash."

This sounds plausible but I have never ever seen a dog continue on straight at a switchback. Seems like dogs know enough to make the turn. At least the one's I've seen.

I always figured those trail extensions were created by people taking off to a place to urinate or have a bowel movement. After all, on a trail that is switchbacking, it is the optimal place to go off trail to do your business and get yourself far enough away from the trail so as to not be seen.

Then again, maybe it's these things making the extensions: fruit.gifsnaf.gif

philfort said:

the last time I was in the Chair Peak bowl above Source Lake and there were lots of bloody footprints from dogs. Owners should take care of their pets to make sure they don't get injured. frown.gif

I have a friend who takes his dogs along with us often, and occasionally they get bloody paws, and leave red spots all over the snow. It seems to bother the humans a lot more than the dogs - the dogs usually aren't even aware of it.

Dog are decended from wild creatures, in the wild, showing pain shows weakness. WE as humans can not be sure if our animal friends are feeling pain, because if they show it, they certainly don't whine the way we do... Doggy boots were developed for a reason. Blood means injury to protective surface of pad, means pain, means possiblity for infection... Clue!??!?

they certainly don't whine the way we do...

I once saw two dogs whining and crying up a storm while clipped into a belay on a small patch of dirt below upper greensleaves (hyalite). When the owners got down from the climb the dogs discomfort only worsened as they had to be manhandled down the rampy WI 2ish gulley. What the hell were these people thinking? madgo_ron.gif

i used to think the doggie paw boots were silly until i thoughtless took my dogs out in the snow w/o them once. They both have their own now. Well worth the money. I can tell the difference. Even if they weren't whining they weren't happy dogs on that first trip. Now i found out yesterday that they make a doggie tent. ... I don't love them that much!

I don't know what the big deal is... I will never leash my dog any where that is not in the city, or at a dog haters crib... Its the dogs given right as a creature of the earth to roam where it damn well pleases... next you all will want us to put a leash on our kids because they happen to wonder a foot off the trail to look at a flower, or to pick huckle berries... My dog is as respectful as any human I have encountered on a trail... she gets off the trail and let people pass her with out triping, stalling, or bothering them... if it is kosher and the person talks to her she will then say hi, and go over for a nugde and a pat on the head... so get over it already... cantfocus.gif

Fejas,

i respectfully disagree. Dogs should be leashed particularly on well travelled trails. I frequently encounter off-leash dogs on the trail. There's a few problems w/that for me. 1) most of the time they're freindly but quickly get underfoot. Nothin' like taken a nose dive b/c "buddy" wants to play 2) even nice dogs view a person running towards them differently than they view someone approaching slowly. (was nipped by a "friendly" lab once as i ran past) 3) they may be well behaved around other people but their reaction to my dog may not be good. What is so hard about using the leash?

Fejas said:

I don't know what the big deal is... I will never leash my dog any where that is not in the city, or at a dog haters crib... Its the dogs given right as a creature of the earth to roam where it damn well pleases... next you all will want us to put a leash on our kids because they happen to wonder a foot off the trail to look at a flower, or to pick huckle berries... My dog is as respectful as any human I have encountered on a trail... she gets off the trail and let people pass her with out triping, stalling, or bothering them... if it is kosher and the person talks to her she will then say hi, and go over for a nugde and a pat on the head... so get over it already... cantfocus.gif

I know a 6 year old kid that is in my sons class that is petrified of dogs beyond all reason. I think he would disagree. Dogs are dogs not people. Last season we were goofing off at the collunms with a guy that we knew and his dog who we had all been arround many times. The dog halled off and bit my 4 year old in the face for no aparent reason. no damage was done, but it scared the crap out of all of us. Please leash your dog.

I know a 6 year old kid that is in my sons class that is petrified of dogs beyond all reason. I think he would disagree. Dogs are dogs not people. Last season we were goofing off at the collunms with a guy that we knew and his dog who we had all been arround many times. The dog halled off and bit my 4 year old in the face for no aparent reason. no damage was done, but it scared the crap out of all of us. Please leash your dog.

My friend was buying gas at a gas station in east bum fuck Tennessee when a pickup flies into the parking lot and screeches to a stop. Dude jumps out leaving the motor running and runs into the gas station and yells, "Quick Hank, throw me a pack of smokes!! My pit-bull done tore my baby's face off , we're on our way to the hospital!"

...But more to the point, not all dogs bite people or children. If they do then put them on a leash or don't bring em to the crag. But if they don't let 'em run around and chill. At the crag, my dog just usually goes to sleep and dreams about bacon.

specialed said:

My friend was buying gas at a gas station in east bum fuck Tennessee when a pickup flies into the parking lot and screeches to a stop. Dude jumps out leaving the motor running and runs into the gas station and yells, "Quick Hank, throw me a pack of smokes!! My pit-bull done tore my baby's face off , we're on our way to the hospital!"

...But more to the point, not all dogs bite people or children. If they do then put them on a leash or don't bring em to the crag. But if they don't let 'em run around and chill. At the crag, my dog just usually goes to sleep and dreams about bacon.

tell it to the auto sig there hot stuff wink.gif

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Fejas said:

My dog is more respectful and obeys beter than my wife... I would feel safer with her on a leash and my dog at my side... and as I said before my dog gets out of the way... she is smarter than most people I know... bigdrink.gif