• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The following is my opinion:

Stoop & Scoop.

Don't even think of bringing them where they aren't allowed.

Keep em in frontcountry.

Teach em to be an avy dog.

If they aren't perfectly trained, they suck. This applies to people too, so dog-lovers don't flame me.

Nice dogs are cool. But don't be suprised to meet people who don't want to see them on the trail.

What do we think about having dogs on the trail? Leash or no Leash? Don't even bother to bring?

I hate it when I run into fido without a lease. When I take my dog on a hike she is ALWAYS on a leash. If my dog bites another dog she is the one that will get in trouble because of her breed,Staffordshire Terrier, even though she is the one on the leash.

Leash 'em and I would be happy.

Generally, I get a smile when I see dogs out where I am snowshowing, particulary search and rescue dogs. I was concerned however, the last time I was in the Chair Peak bowl above Source Lake and there were lots of bloody footprints from dogs. Owners should take care of their pets to make sure they don't get injured. frown.gif

Dogs are better to have on the trail than horses on most occasions: do you ever see a horse rider stoop and scoop? And they go right on the trail everytime.

What was said earlier about frontcountry, training, leashes, not in restricted areas goes too. Also NO BARKING.

When people follow these rules I'm glad to see their dogs in the woods, its good for 'em.

You're name is Steve Birds? Crazy. I work for a Steve Bird.

horse poo is not nearly as awful to step in as dog poo... It's just digested grass/hay, not all the awful things dogs eat... usually just kind of becomes one with the trail... doesn't get stuck in the treads...

That said:

I'm in favor of leashes.... I'd be heartbroken if she chased a squirrel into oblivion... or hurt herself cause I was being selfish and lazy and not wanting the "hassle" of having her on a leash.

I have to agree with N by NW on horse crap. It smells worst then dog crap too.

I'm a dog owner and I do take him on a leash. However Sometimes we both just need to run or he needs to run and i need to run to keep up and the leash becomes a pain.

Have you ever noticed how trails that have switchbacks have false trails continuing out straight from the end of each switchback? They are caused by dogs off-leash who don't know enough to make the turn. I sure wish everyone would just keep their dogs on leash.

I see these type of tracks where dogs are not allowed all the time.

Have you ever noticed how trails that have switchbacks have false trails continuing out straight from the end of each switchback? They are caused by dogs off-leash who don't know enough to make the turn. I sure wish everyone would just keep their dogs on leash.

I see these type of tracks where dogs are not allowed all the time.

See snoboys post about being perfectly trained wether it be dogs or humans.

Little thread kreep here, I had 2 strays show up on my front porch this weekend. One was a medium sized black lab/mutt with cow manure all over, a big lump on the right side of his head and a shaved hip like he had recent surgery (picture a junkyard dog). After 2 days of smelling up the cat bed and eating all the cat food, I convinced him to leave with a stream of cold water from the hose. Yesterday afternoon a pretty cute little weiner dog shows up and starts barking at the front door. I open the door to check him out and he marches in like he owns the place, hops up on the couch and wags his tail at me. So I pick him up, take him back out to the front porch, he spots our cat and chases him up a tree despite being much more puny than the cat. At this point, I'm thinkin he might be a keeper but then he barked at the front door all fricking night keeping me awake and kept trying to get in my truck this morning so he'd best be gone tonight when I get home or he's gonna get hosed on. pitty.gif

my dog whines, barks, chases goats and other wild animals, shortcuts switchbacks, shits on the trail and all designated campgrounds, intimidates other dogs including fights, and chews on peoples' unattended packs.

If I was to say that what could you really do but whine.

There is no perfect animal. The owners are responsible for all actions.

Some of the remarks above are well- full of shit.

eric8 basically what I am saying is that dogs are not really the major contributors to people cutting shortcuts to switchbacks. People are. bigdrink.gif

It's all common sense and if you dont have any then well then... Expect people to hate you and your animal.

Little thread kreep here, I had 2 strays show up on my front porch this weekend. One was a medium sized black lab/mutt with cow manure all over, a big lump on the right side of his head and a shaved hip like he had recent surgery (picture a junkyard dog). After 2 days of smelling up the cat bed and eating all the cat food, I convinced him to leave with a stream of cold water from the hose. Yesterday afternoon a pretty cute little weiner dog shows up and starts barking at the front door. I open the door to check him out and he marches in like he owns the place, hops up on the couch and wags his tail at me. So I pick him up, take him back out to the front porch, he spots our cat and chases him up a tree despite being much more puny than the cat. At this point, I'm thinkin he might be a keeper but then he barked at the front door all fricking night keeping me awake and kept trying to get in my truck this morning so he'd best be gone tonight when I get home or he's gonna get hosed on. pitty.gif

Hey, at least when the strays are around you prolly don't need to clean the cat's litter box! Most strays LOVE to munch on that stuff.

my dog whines, barks, chases goats and other wild animals, shortcuts switchbacks, shits on the trail and all designated campgrounds, intimidates other dogs including fights, and chews on peoples' unattended packs.

If I was to say that what could you really do but whine.

There is no perfect animal. The owners are responsible for all actions.

Dog like that you should kick in the teeth. evils3d.gif On no wait, the owner is responsible, then we should kick him in the teeth. yellaf.gif

I seriously doubt your dog is anything like that though.

Here's a story of bad owners. Someone I know was at the crag one day. There was a dog tied up there right next to the base. It bit my friend. Owner turns around and says, "Oh, he does that sometimes." F#$%ing doofus! madgo_ron.gif

Dogs don't bite people, people bite people! rolleyes.gif

the reason the dogs that people meet on the trail can be so cool when they are out and about hiking is cause they are usually delighted to be out of the condo/apt/concrete jungle, and have already sniffed and run themselves tired. Taking your dog out hiking is being a responsible doggy parent. SO, if you are on Si, keep him/her on a leash, but if elsewhere, and far away from people and roads, whatever.

Of course I have a perfect dog who would never take shortcuts on the trails...

chinook and sierra are str8 ruffless. when they aren't doing the nasty, they can be quite menacing on the trails. really more so sierran than chinook cuz he's big and fat and gets tired after 1/2 mile.

anyhow, i will not let them off leash unless i'm almost positive we wont run into anyone. so usually its out in the middle of the desert or on some old abandoned forest service road. having them off leash on designated trails is a real discourtesy to the other users of teh resource. unfortunately, not everyone loves my big dumb mutts as much as i do!

personaly I realy like running into wel behaved dogs on trails. It gives me an excuse to stop and catch my breath and socialize a bit, I l;ike nice dogs and nice owners. grin.gif same at the crag. But I am seriouse about the well behaved thing. there is nothing like my kid getting bit to ruin my day and my attitude evils3d.gif