Vesper approach conditions?

sdw

Not sure if this is helpful but I was out there June 3rd.  The ledge system to the North face routes still had a lot of snow on it.  It's possible that things have melted out more in the last couple of weeks but I would plan on having to deal with snow on a traverse to the Ragged Edge route.  Both the Ragged Edge and True Grit looked relatively snow free on the routes themselves.

-Jordan

Edited by jordansahls

I haven't been out there in two weeks but, given the fat conditions when I was out there I would say that Vesper is very very likely still skiable from the summit to Headlee pass.  However, Headlee pass was starting to thin out at the bottom.  You will probably have to remove the skies in a few spots (likely on the traverse from the lake to Headlee pass and probably at the bottom of Headlee), but I bet you can still ski down into the basin.  If I didn't have other plans this weekend I would be out there for sure. 

Edited by jordansahls

I find I can usually ski from the summit to the lake at least until July, although it varies from year to year.  And with all the crazy changes in the climate I'm less confident in old weather trends/patterns.  On the plus side, once the lake starts to open up you can get some super fun pond skimming in!

For the record, here's what the north face approach ledges looked like.  We decided not to go for it, but a bolder party might make it work.

I'm not a skiier, but there was solid snow cover on Vesper from the top down to the lake.

ragged edge ledges.jpg

• Thanks 1