Adams Ski Questions

Panhandler

Hey folks,

New to the region and looking to get one last ski (splitboard) in.  I've heard the SW Chutes on Adams are pretty sweet; shooting for this weekend (Sunday).  Sounds like most people hike/skin up the South Route, but I've heard it can be kind of a zoo.  My question is:  Does anyone crampon up the SW chutes, or is there some reason that wouldn't be a good idea?  Also, is van camping at the trailhead doable?  And of course any general tips or conditions updates would be awesome.  Thanks in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Panhandler,

I've done the route several times but haven't been up this year, so I can't give you any idea of current conditions. It's a great route though, I've done it up until the first week of July with great conditions every time.

I've never seen anyone go up the SW chutes route. The SW chutes route finishes a few miles to the west of the south route which starts at the parking lot, so it is a lot easier to use the south route to the top, and then go down the SW chutes routes and then hike back to the South climb (as opposed to hiking to the west for a few miles to get to the base of the SW Chutes).

Also might want to consider that because it's so much easier to go up the south climb, people probably consider the SW Chutes to be a "one-way" descent route. Of course there's no rule stating that you aren't allowed to go up the SW Chutes, but in general people coming down probably won't be expecting anyone coming up.

There's two possible ways to get from the exit of the SW Chutes back to the South Climb - you can do a high traverse from the end of the chutes back towards the south climb, which will involve a climb or two. I've never done it this way - basically I've heard if you nail it and you get good conditions, it's really fast and easy, but if you do it in the wrong spot or if there's not enough snow to ski the downhills, it can take a long time and be pretty annoying. 

The other option is to just ski downhill until the end of the snow, and then start walking downhill until you get to a trail. This will be the "Around the Mountain" trail - you can follow it about 2-3 miles (guessing) back to the South Climb trail. I've always used this method, it's hard to mess up even if it takes a little longer. I bring a GPS with a map of the area just to reduce the chance that I miss the trail on the way down, although that hasn't ever happened to me so far. 

Van camping in the parking lot is definitely a go, the road is a little on the rough side though so if your van has low clearance it might be an issue. Someone else can probably give you more info on the current road conditions.

Also, you're supposed to have a "Volcano Pass" to go up. Remember to get cash on your way, if you forget you'll either have to drive a long way to the nearest ATM or risk getting caught without the pass.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordpinchot/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5144542

Welcome! 

Some friends of mine skied the South Spur route yesterday and this is what one of them said about the conditions:

No corn to speak of, was more early season conditions with wind-blown powder and ice.

Hope that is helpful in some way! Enjoy the SW Chutes!

I skied the South Spur route last Saturday (06/09/19). We only ran into 7 other people on the South Spur, so not too much of a zoo yet! 

The road up was pretty rough. I personally wouldn't be comfortable driving a van up, but we did see one Ford Focus at the top that had made it up. All the other cars were high clearance vehicles.

Consistent enough snow to skin started about a mile from the TH.

Edited by Nathaniel

If its a nice weekend it will be a zoo, but thats fine since its a big mountain, it was over memorial day.    RE: climbing the chutes - you would do a very low and long traverse and then climb a 35-40 degree slope with no bootpack and the potential for skiiers above so I wouldn't want to do it personally.   The south climbing route is fairly direct and pretty easy for car to summit or atleast false summit in 5 hrs if moving steady. 

In regards to how to exit,  I've done both and it may depend on time of year but I find the short 20 minute skin up and back to the ascent route is by far the most enjoyable.   I did it 3 weeks ago and didn't have to cary, but I'm sure you will now.  Ascending and doing the 3 mile slog out in what is always brutal heat is very unpleasant and takes 1-2 hrs.   to the comment earlier, I also never found the around the mountain trail so it was 2-3hours of shwacking.  Also a fire in recent years has ripped through there so I can't speak to how the trial is holding up now. 

I second going up the S climb, via the summer route.

The exit traverse as I've used it is not too high, roughly 7500' level from the obvious flat bottom of the chutes. Like this: http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDUvPi3CQw

As heinzsd said, there will be some walking. I think some people traverse higher, but that sounds shitty since I want to ski fall line and there's an obvious flat end of the route as I've marked it.