Looking for a Mentor

voidwanderer

Hello,

My name is Matt, I am in my late twenties, have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and am currently volunteering at a farm located in Graham, WA after recently relocating from the southeast about a month ago. 

After a number of life changing events that happened in relatively quick succession, I find myself here, looking for purpose. Lately, I have been going on weekly solo backpacking trips at Mt. Rainier and thinking to myself, "There is nothing that I would rather do than this". I remember seeing quotes from various sources saying to "find something you would do for free, and then find a way to get paid for it", or something along those lines. 

I have decided that I would like to pursue a career in becoming an expedition/mountaineering guide. I reached out to a very reputable local guide service and asked what would be expected of me to become a competitive candidate for an entry-level guide position. The response was in all honesty, disheartening. A few summits of Mt. Rainier, numerous summits of other alpine climbs, a solid rock climbing resume.   At the moment, these seem unattainable to me, an inexperienced (and in most cases no experience) mountaineer/rock climber. 

I have looked at the possibility of taking courses to fix this problem of inexperience, and beyond the basic/introduction courses, I am currently unable to attain the funds required to take the $1000+ courses that would help me gain the intermediate and advanced skills required for this type of work. I currently have no income, all my savings derived from things I have sold before landing in Washington. I am working on selling most of the other items I own to purchase the needed equipment to begin working towards my goal, everything other than my car, computer, my limited music production hardware, 2 fishing rods/ 1 flyfishing rod and tackleboxes, and of course my backpacking gear. 

I am looking for a mentor to help guide me towards realizing this dream, I can't offer much, but within reason I can help out in anyway to earn such a mentor-ship. I am dedicated, a quick learner, and an active listener. I am typically available every weekend. 

If any of this interests you please message me directly. Any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. 

Best Wishes,

Matt

Edited by voidwanderer

I'm not qualified to be your mentor, and have never been a mountain guide. That's a pretty high bar from where I stand. However, I've been a backcountry ski guide so I do know about guiding and I can offer this comment... even if you become qualified from a skills standpoint, you won't succeed unless you are a people person. In this case, "doing what you love" needs to include mentoring, helping, and otherwise helping people have a good time. Yes, you have to keep them safe and know your stuff and be in super physical shape and all that, but if you don't enjoy figuring out what it takes to make someone comfortable and feel good about themselves and then work hard to do so, then this isn't the occupation for you. Also, under the best of circumstances, it's difficult to provide even the bare necessities to live for more than just yourself on a guide's income. I enjoyed my guiding experience probably more than any other job I've ever had, but I couldn't make a living out of it. I had to have a second job to pay the rent.

You may not have the money for the courses but you obviously have the internet and likely enough to buy some books.  Start with buying Freedom of Hills and study it/practice what is taught.  Also, Youtube can be very helpful but with anything be cautious of incorrect information.  Learn the applicable knots, join a climbing gym, etc... Get a job to support yourself whike you learn so you can afford the gear.  There is a lot you can do before shelling out big bucks for courses.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:08 PM, DoStuff said:

There is a lot you can do before shelling out big bucks for courses.

A long apprenticeship will serve you well in the mountains, there's no rush.  Which means you should probably find paying work for a time.

Also, listen to @pcg, the most successful guides are most certainly people people- climbing is secondary.

so many options out there.   how about getting a start with something like outward bound or NOLS?  they could have a pure backpacking programs that you could get your foot into the guiding experiences.  meanwhile work on the technical climbing skills.  (fellow guides would most likely go climbing during off days)  I started guiding on the path described by your conversation with the guide service but some other guides came in from NOLS and OB.

As far as building rock skills, get a rock gym membership, get out on weekends with others and maybe join the mountaineers for their budget freindly climbing course.  will meet fellow newbie climbers as well.  It is really about finding partners, making mistakes but surviving them, learning in the field, reading from others and getting after it.

I don't mean to be a downer but I think the request for mentors is a bit of a put off.  Most people have very busy lives and can't really afford to be able to invest that amount of time.  But most people have time to take someone out for a day rock climbing if the other has the ability to belay.  At least for me Mentorship implies a pretty long time commitment but I come from a apprenticeship background so maybe our concepts of mentorship are different.

I must say that I really enjoyed my time as a guide.  I have plenty of coworkers who moved on to a really successful career at it also.

oh to add, while time is precious for many, they do like to help and sometimes got lots of extra junk laying around.  If gear is a problem, make a list of things you need and I bet that you could have plenty of used gear given to you.  We are a friendly lot and don't bite unless you make really snarky comments online.  just be cool.  :)

The sincerest of gratitude to all of those that have posted their advice in this thread and those that have sent me messages!

As for the gear I need see below:

Climbing Rope 

Cramp-ons

Ice axes

Mountaineering Boots

Harness

Those are the more expensive items that I need to start climbing ASAP (other than a 4 season tent but not sure if that is required for most climbs). I would like to add that I am not against providing some help (for example some manual labor) in exchange for gear!

Best Wishes,

Matt

Edited by voidwanderer

The number one sign of danger on internet climbing forums is posts titled "I'm looking for a mentor!"

I strongly disagree. Someone "looking for a mentor" is clearly aware that they have a lot to learn and is invested in learning it. The dangerous folks on internet climbing forums are hotshots with little experience and big egos.

1 minute ago, lawsonpeak said:

I strongly disagree. Someone "looking for a mentor" is clearly aware that they have a lot to learn and is invested in learning it. The dangerous folks on internet climbing forums are hotshots with little experience and big egos.

That's like saying someone who posts "Looking for the Perfect Wife" is a great catch because they're invested in the sanctity of matrimony. :lmao:

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, voidwanderer said:

I have decided that I would like to pursue a career in becoming an expedition/mountaineering guide. I reached out to a very reputable local guide service and asked what would be expected of me to become a competitive candidate for an entry-level guide position. The response was in all honesty, disheartening. A few summits of Mt. Rainier, numerous summits of other alpine climbs, a solid rock climbing resume.   

Not to be a jerk or anything, but if you see going climbing as a serious impediment to becoming a mountain guide, maybe you should think twice about your plan.

• Like 1