Liberty Ridge: week of Monday June 11 to Friday June 15

Dylan Colon

Hi everybody!

I'm a graduate student at the University of Oregon, and I'm going to be submitting my Ph.D. this weekend (already defended) and I'd like to celebrate with some mountaineering, particularly before I move away to somewhere much flatter in search of a job.

The recent trip reports for the Liberty Ridge look pretty enticing, and I would love to get in on that action. I'm a moderately experienced volcano climber, and I've done the Northwest Right Gully on Hood, the Kautz Glacier (in late season icy conditions), and the Jefferson Park glacier (sans overly rimed summit ridge) without any serious issues. I have all of my own gear, and am comfortable soloing steepe neve, simulclimbing 45 degree alpine ice, and leading WI3. I tend to do reasonably well at altitude (though sea level to 14k always sucks at least some).

I have a backcountry ski setup, and could be convinced to bring that, but I my skis are really heavy and I feel a bit of trepidation about dragging them up such a long technical route.

I'd prefer a three day itenerary, but I'm flexible and could be convinced to stretch that in either direction within the constraints above.

I've noticed the cold front/minor storm scheduled for this weekend, but things look good after that in the extended forecasts. I have family showing up Saturday monring in Portland for graduation, so I need to be off the mountain by then, but I'm free Monday-Friday. 

I'd prefer a three day itenerary, but I'm flexible and could be convinced to stretch that in either direction within the constraints above.

I'm also open to suggestions for something comparable if conditions don't look good on Rainier or if someone has another goal they're looking for partners on.

Thanks a lot!

-Dylan Colon

Edited by Dylan Colon

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days