Potential Goldmine?

Jens

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tukwila is like 10 minutes south of seattle and 20 minutes north and since we are taling about the south sound in general, we cannot forget olympia and surrounding environs.

part of the issue is traffic for the south sounders. tukwila only intensifies that.

federal way would be the obvious location.

My wife and I investigated this a couple of years ago. Demographically, the south sound would support a indoor climbing gym. We found the ideal location to be in the Hwy. 167 corridor, between Kent & Auburn. Lots of warehouse type space for a V-World type gym.

The drawback we saw was the initial investment to build the walls. More than we were willing to commit to. If someone did decide to do this, including Vertical World, I may buy another gym membership.

• 5 months later...

Yoo Erik. Don't forget those guys that owned the Oly gym made out pretty good when the City of Olympia tore it down. I don't know the specific numbers but I know one owner that came away with more that three times his investment plus a third of the holds.

Most of the plywood was salvaged along with all the holds. A rock gym sprung up in Nat's garage for about two years using the salvage material. It wasn't nearly as big as the Oly rock gym but a lot of people climbed there.

I know about Evergreen but I thought I read they opened a new one by Burrito Heaven.

As far as going into business with Alpine Experience, I am not quite sure what I think about that. I guess they have proven a large skiing/ climbing store can survive in Olympia. Remember 1/3 of their competition fell down after the Nisqually earthquake and went out of business.

Also heard a while back that REI was eyeing Oly as a new store possibility. If they through up one of their big climbing structures, it might impact the rock gyms profits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Yoo Erik. Don't forget those guys that owned the Oly gym made out pretty good when the City of Olympia tore it down. I don't know the specific numbers but I know one owner that came away with more that three times his investment plus a third of the holds.

Most of the plywood was salvaged along with all the holds. A rock gym sprung up in Nat's garage for about two years using the salvage material. It wasn't nearly as big as the Oly rock gym but a lot of people climbed there.

The plywood panels from Nat's are now in my garage. nostalgic don't you think?

Nat rockband.gif sure do miss that dude, always had a good word for everyone

• 7 months later...

Just do what we did in Skykomish...grow your own!

The local Sky crew leased a barn and built quite the indoor skateboard facility.

A private climbing wall is not much different...

just find 10 friends, some cheap real estate to use on a long term basis, 500 holds and somebody's old boombox.

My roomate and I built a boulder cave in our garage with left over concrete forms from a foundation I made this summer, the leftover concrete creates a nice texture and appearance. The framing is from old decks that we have replaced. 70$ a month for Edgeworks? I think thats a little steep for the dirtbags. Now we just need some cheap holds...anyone??

• 3 weeks later...

I have to withdraw my comments on edgeworks...I was in there last night and they only charge 7 for a day pass now. AND they were actually playing a REALLY good mix of music last night, I was suprised. They also have done a great job setting routes.

thumbs_up.gifGeek_em8.gif

They also have done a great job setting routes.

thumbs_up.gifGeek_em8.gif

Andy does a great job setting routes, really fun, balanced stuff usually incorporating alot of funky natural feature moves. Alot of the other setters tend to be really hit or miss on ratings and diversity...BUT they are getting better. cantfocus.gif