[TR] Mt Baker - North Ridge 06/02/2018

dave schultz

Trip: Mt Baker - North Ridge

Trip Date: 06/02/2018

Trip Report:

I couldn't confirm any partners to climb today, so I rolled out of bed and thought a solo of Baker's North Ridge would fill the day nicely, and it would tick the route off my to-do list.  

I started around 0900, parking lot was not full, and a few parties had already started up - they all seemed to be going for Coleman Deming.  I was secretly hoping I would be able to link into a group on the NR, but seemed out of the cards. 

Conditions were great, the cloud cover kept everything from nuking but the above-freezing temps kept everything pretty soft.  There were a few older boot trails heading to the start of the route making it easy to find.  

I opted for the right side start of the main ice section, which was fully engaging grade 3 ice for a short stretch and then it eased back substantially.  

Above the main ice I ran into a very nice guided group who was working up the left side - great talking with you guys!

The ski descent was great, excellent conditions and the snow was not ripped up or moguled out, should stay in great shape for at least several more weeks.  On my way out it appeared that the flood-gates opened and there were people everywhere!

Back to the car at 1635, for a 7:35 c2c time.  

Gear Notes:
Didn't use much. Two technical tools were pretty helpful, anything less would have upped the pucker factor.

Approach Notes:
Heliotrope TH. The maintained trail is in good shape, minimal interference and it travels fast.

Edited by dave schultz
  • Rawk on! 1