are any of you ready for some mountain training?

genepires

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/1/2018 at 3:09 PM, JasonG said:

AK provided?

Old school ones, perhaps. India's defense budget is minuscule compared to that of the Pentagon, after all (and one can't buy AR-15's at the Walmart in India either O.o ).

This video is (perhaps) a recruiting tool of the High Altitude Warfare School of the Indian Army, targeting eager young recruits. As  @ScaredSilly  mentioned, India and Pakistan have been fighting for over 70 years in the Himalayan high altitudes. Not surprisingly, most mountaineering/climbing instruction in India is administered by the armed forces to this day. Mountaineering as a form of recreation is still rare, although it's starting to catch up with (rich) people gaining more time and money to spare. I experienced a bit of this change when comparing my visits back there back in 2006 and the one last year. A friend of mine (now in the US) went for a 4-week climbing school almost 20 years back, which was run by one of these Army divisions. While the basics were all taught, It felt more like an army camp than a climbing class (and yes, he did get ordered around by the "guides"). "Staying/coming back alive" has a whole new meaning for these mountain fighters. We recreational climbers have it much easier out in the West ...