[TR] Little Tahoma - Fryingpan Glacier 05/27/2018

JuanBelay

Trip: Little Tahoma - Fryingpan Glacier

Trip Date: 05/27/2018

Trip Report:

Did a ski tour of Little Tahoma on Sunday, May 27 on one of the most spectacular May days I've had in a while. Thought I'd post so information for those considering making the trip.

Approach via Summerland trail is basically snow-free for the first mile and then switches to snow with sections of dirt thereafter. From the final bridge, snow is continuous. On the ascent I booted and did not bother with skis. From the flats beyond the bridge it's a straight shot up to the left to gain Meany Crest. Meany crest is snow free and lots of good camping available. No running water at this point, so plan to melt.

I booted to Meany Crest and then skinned up Fryingpan keeping to the right of the glacial bulge. Crevasse problems are minimal, though there is one crossing that could probably be avoided by trending to climbers right and downhill. Despite the warm weather and soft snow, I skinned the bridges without issue though I could see where someone had punched through earlier in the day.

From Fryingpan kicked steps up to Whitman Crest and then set out across the Whitman Glacier. There are two open crevasses on the Whitman that can be avoided by skirting them to the right. Whitman is ~30 degrees up to a bench on the ridge at 10,300 feet. From there you can ascend on steeper snow (~40 degrees) either to the left or right of the ridge.  If you go right, expect steep, crappy, downward sloping rock at the exit onto the ridge.

Descent was same as ascent, but on skis. Yay!

Travel Times:

• Left car at 7:15 AM
  • Meany Crest at 10:45
  • Summit at 2:00 PM
  • Car at 5 PM

Gear Notes:
Ice axe, crampons, helmet. Glacier gear if desired

Approach Notes:
All snow after the last bridge

DSC02415.thumb.JPG.a1d1c3686c6a8a6518a346bd589f9b73.JPG

Meany Crest Camp

DSC02418.thumb.JPG.74648753514c018b9e2b3f5348a2ba21.JPG