Diamond Peak Condition Questions

dyl206

Hello all,

Im itching to get out there this memorial day and I have always wanted to go up Diamond Peak. My plan was to camp at Marie Lake for the night and then summit in the morning. However, I am wondering what kind of technical gear I should bring, if any. This time of year is there still enough snow to justify the use of an ice axe/ crampons, or maybe even snowshoes? Im getting conflicting reports online. 

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey! 

We climbed it on May 2nd. We made it to the Pioneer Gulch trailhead no problem, but no dice on the Rickpile Trailhead. We needed snowshoes about 1 mile in, and the Western bowl was alllllllllllll avalanchy snow. It might be good now, but I bet there is still a decent amount of snow in the trees. 

Hope this helps!

D6CF992A-8D4E-43D5-BF3E-24569368BCDA.jpeg

90C7F08F-3473-45C8-8B56-B588988746DB.jpeg

75CAF558-B99D-402C-A927-A95F38CCB9E7.jpeg

Just an fyi that the road up to the trailhead is still pretty bad. My friend and I tried it in his honda element and got stuck in a nasty combination of snow/mud and almost slid into a ditch! That was two weeks ago so maybe its cleared up by now? But just be prepared to maybe have to bail. We ducked out and did mount bailey just to the south and had a blast!