• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Frankazoid

Good ski objectives near West Glacier NP?

Not sure what the 'tay' is for enthusiasts in that area, so here I post..

Anyone know of reasonable approaches to good skiing from the westside of the park, with current road and snow conditions?

This I know:  From west entrance you can drive to lake McDonald lodge, and one can hike the road 12 miles beyond that.  
Logan pass can only be approached on the weekend when the road crew rests, making it way too big of a push for that 2 day window.

I'm looking for a comfortable single day approach (8-10 hours of biking, hiking, touring to base of objective X, or less!), that will land me at a good zone to lap on the second day, or just a single, long ski objective with climbing that requires nothing more than steep booting w/axe.

And if you know of a better forum/info resource for the area please chime in!

The rangers do not have any info as they don't go out on skis into the high-country, unlike areas around here, so I learned..

Thanks!

I don't have any suggestions, but I'm curious to hear them!

The Rocky Mountaineers out of Missoula and the Glacier Mountaineering Society (Kalispell/Whitefish) do some winter trips up there. Rocky Mountaineers has a Facebook group you can try for info - I know one of their regulars (Forest Dean) does a lot of ski mountaineering in the park! Sadly I've only been skiing in the park on the east side... in October!