Good ski objectives near West Glacier NP?

Frankazoid

Not sure what the 'tay' is for enthusiasts in that area, so here I post..

Anyone know of reasonable approaches to good skiing from the westside of the park, with current road and snow conditions?

This I know:  From west entrance you can drive to lake McDonald lodge, and one can hike the road 12 miles beyond that.  
Logan pass can only be approached on the weekend when the road crew rests, making it way too big of a push for that 2 day window.

I'm looking for a comfortable single day approach (8-10 hours of biking, hiking, touring to base of objective X, or less!), that will land me at a good zone to lap on the second day, or just a single, long ski objective with climbing that requires nothing more than steep booting w/axe.

And if you know of a better forum/info resource for the area please chime in!

The rangers do not have any info as they don't go out on skis into the high-country, unlike areas around here, so I learned..

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Rocky Mountaineers out of Missoula and the Glacier Mountaineering Society (Kalispell/Whitefish) do some winter trips up there. Rocky Mountaineers has a Facebook group you can try for info - I know one of their regulars (Forest Dean) does a lot of ski mountaineering in the park! Sadly I've only been skiing in the park on the east side... in October!