[TR] Strobach - Jatinga (FA) 01/30/2018

John Frieh

Trip: Strobach - Jatinga (FA)

Trip Date: 01/30/2018

Summary: First Ascent of Jatinga WI4 35m John Frieh and Joel Campeau January 30 2018

Details: Joel and Jen did a recon trip the weekend prior and baited me with photos of what appeared to be unclimbed ice climbers right of "First on Right." Even better it looked extremely similar to the Hyalite classic "The Thrill is Gone."

Two days later Joel and I returned and made good time to the base drafting the trail he and Jen had punched in a few days prior. I saddled up and with a cool head and creative ice screw placements was able piece it together before finally getting good rock gear higher up. Finally "interesting" thin climbing (classic Strobach) guarded the top out. We rapped off a tree climbers right of the top out.

Joel followed and we then ran a lap on what apparently was the very first route ever climbed at Strobach "First on Right" which we both found to be very steep off the ground before easing higher up.

Joel and I did some recon hiking after that and found some other possabilities that Jen and he climbed the weekend after that. Hopefully they post a TR soon!

Shout and a BIG thanks to Alex Krawarik for always being willing and able to answer all my Strobach questions! You the man!

Gear Notes:
Rock gear + stubbies recommended (required?)

Approach Notes:
Washington Ice: A Climbing Guide

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4257 2.jpg

IMG_4370 3.jpg

Edited by John Frieh
  • Snaffled 1