[TR] Mt Hood - Reid Glacier Headwall 05/05/2018

Cool, thanks for the TR!

Looks like you may have opted for one of the more interesting top-outs.

I'm wondering where the "longest and most-committing" characterization came from. One of my favorite aspects of this route is that it's on the easy side of the mountain in terms of approach and descent. With your speed and fitness you certainly made an easy day of it. :rawk:

No matter how you slice it I think it is one of the best all-around routes on the mountain, glad you had a great time!

Hey diepj, thanks for the compliments.   I read that while perusing online information about the route - can't recall where - maybe summitpost? I'm honestly not familiar with the peak and assumed it to be true.  I agree that the approach was very straightforward and relatively easy! I'd like to come back some day for The North Face.  We definitely did not follow the line of least resistance, my partner said that we climbed 8A to 8B in the guidebook, whatever that means!

There are many variations on the Reid. Most occur cause what does not seem obvious when climbing is to jump left at various points. If you topped out and could jog right to the regular route then you joined the West Crater Rim Route. So it sounds as though you went straight up rather than the last jog left. When I did the Reid I missed the second jog left and did a lap before going right joining the ridge further down. 

Edited by ScaredSilly

28 minutes ago, ScaredSilly said:

If you topped out and could jog right to the regular route then you joined the West Crater Rim Route.

I did this the first time I went up the Reid!  Then I went back and went left a few years later. Both had fun bits, but going left seems a bit longer and more sustained?  Hard to say since the second time was  a lot icier and more technical.