Food/Meal Planning for Denali

HappiPawz

Hello!  I am helping my husbands team with meal planning and had some questions:

1. Will things like salami and hard cheeses  last?

2. Will bread, bagels, tortillas last/survive?

3. What is everyones favorite mountain meals and snacks!

We have a dehydrator and will be making some of our own foods and some things they will purchase upon arrival.  We have read that having a cup of soup or broth every day can be a good way to stay hydrated and get some nutrients. Yes or no? Any other tips would be great!!! Thank you!

You could survive the whole winter up there with all the stuff that people give away at 14 camp after a good weather window. The best food is food that you didn’t drag 10 miles. 

All those things will last, and can be easily bought in Anchorage. Bagels are best in terms of durability. 

• Thanks 1

For years I have said one could climb Denali and not bring any food whilst surviving on caches.

For the OP all of that will survive fine, the biggest problem is stuff freezing. People bring cheese that freezes into a block. Me If were going up the W. Butt. I would bring a big ass cooler for food that I do not want to freeze. 

• 2 months later...

Butter.  Lots of butter.  Put it in everything: morning oatmeal, hot chocolate, instant rice.  I made a very passable risotto at 14k with instant rice, cheese, salami, and chicken broth.  Lots of drinks; instant apple cider, hot chocolate, instant soups.  We budgeted 5,000 calories a day based on previous trips to the AK range putting in long days.  The days on Denali were quite short with lots of rest days so we ended up eating maybe 3,500 calories a day.