US Government bans Dru

num1mc

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Off_White said:

Pfft, he's Canadian, not Afghani. Canadians don't need visas to come vacation or travel here, only if they're going to work. I believe he's in country at this very moment.

Actually not true. Canada is among countries with so called "Visa Waiver Program". Basically you are granted 90 day visa at the point of entry. US Immigration do not stamp Canadian passports, but Canadian can be (and on many occasions were) denied visa at the point of entry. 

When I saw the movie 'Minority Report', with all its Iris scanning on the streets and by nano bots and targeted advertisements , I thought yeah that's where we're heading in some shape or form.

Let's enjoy what we have while we have it. You never know when your entire 7-year history is going to get censored and deleted from a website, because you upset the status quo.:D

Will that site's action keep me from entering Canada at somepoint? Will I have to explain the circumstances at the border? It would be like " yeah I was talking about Public Safety and...".

The following pic is from the movie "Brazil".

images.jpg

Edited by Chris Hopkins

I dunno Chris, worrying that a website banning might reflect on a boarder crossing might be bordering on chattering paranoia, One should never clasp anything with PK Dick as the source too close to one's heart, it won't end well. Still, I had a buddy turned back at the Canadian border due to a record of having shoplifted cheese from the Curry Co. store in Yosemite in 1977. Seems that every offense in a National Park is a federal offense hence grounds for entry refusal. He did the whole appeal to the Canadian Embassy, write a letter describing the steps you've taken to reform yourself from a cheese thief, and paid the $1000+ application fee, and he can now enter Canada just like a normal white person.

On 4/5/2018 at 2:29 PM, Off_White said:

I dunno Chris, worrying that a website banning might reflect on a boarder crossing might be bordering on chattering paranoia, One should never clasp anything with PK Dick as the source too close to one's heart, it won't end well.

Didn't know who wrote The Minority Report until you mentioned his name here.

I was talking about that movies depiction of targeted advertising  and how information is gathered on us and how that information is  used.

The proposed border crossing rule is just one example of how that data collection may be used.

I didn't have my dog papers coming into Canada one time. That data was collected and every time after that, when I attempted to enter Canada I was asked about if I'd ever been denied entry into Canada. I guess they're checking for honesty against what they have on file.

As far as the chattering paranoia thing, I think it's important to realize that the internet is an imperfect form of communication because we don't see each other's as visual cues, body language, speech inflection or even familiarity with the person with whom we're trying to communicate.

I haven't researched it yet but I suspect that there's a strong desire for each one of us to build mental pictures of who we think the person on the other end of the conversation is. Those mental pictures would be constructs of the virtual world and not necessarily based in reality.

For example, Whether or not someone's comment is being perceived as either negative or positive largely depends on point of view.

My friends tend to laugh their asses off when they read much of what I write, where  other folks who only know me through the internet seem to interpret them differently.

Excuse me for chattering on but that's how my mind works. It's largely based in Divergent thinking.

See my friends are laughing their ass right now.:D