• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hopkins

Grant Money to police climbers+

Don't know if this has been posted yet.

http://methowvalleynews.com/2018/02/16/rco-grants-will-support-trail-campground-maintenance-projects/

"The goal of the project is to educate climbers on environmentally and socially responsible climbing practices, collect data on use and resources, identify environmental impacts, continue building relationships with the climbing community, and enforce regulations.

Funding for the climbing rangers is provided through the Nonhighway and Off-Road Vehicle Activities (NOVA) program of the RCO. "

Edited by Chris Hopkins
Trying to reduce font size for paste text

Great, more conspiracy BS.  Also included in your list were grants focused on other parts of the wilderness area, 250K for trail maintenance, 150K for campground maintenance, 100K for mountain bike trails.

Maybe the headline should have been "Grant money to build trails and reduce human impacts" or maybe that wouldn't have the same ring to it.

Grant funded ranger positions are unlikely to last past the end of the grant. Besides, climbers are assholes, a little environmental education could be useful.  :crosseye:

51 minutes ago, JBo6 said:

Great, more conspiracy BS.  Also included in your list were grants focused on other parts of the wilderness area, 250K for trail maintenance, 150K for campground maintenance, 100K for mountain bike trails.

Maybe the headline should have been "Grant money to build trails and reduce human impacts" or maybe that wouldn't have the same ring to it.

Peace out.

download (1).jpg

The last thing I want to see while I'm climbing is a government official trying to interact with me.  Super lame.  In fact it's hard to imagine something lamer.  Put the money into making the areas more impact resistant by making clearly marked on and off trail areas, improved bathrooms and trash cans.  Look how packed vantage was before the Washington climbers coalition stepped up and built the bathroom when the government wouldn't.  Then one day a cop is writing me a parking ticket at Vantage and explaining to me this is how the bathroom gets paid for.  The truth Is they site us and the money goes to a unicorn ranch to fund safe injection sites for homeless drug addicts.  This is the same government that's cool with injecting tons of chemicals into the earth to get oil from fracking but we climbers need an environmental liason to interact with mama nature? Total horseshit! 

• Rawk on! 1