• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jon

Grizzlies in the North Cascades?

Are you for grizzlies being reintroduced?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for grizzlies being reintroduced?

• Yes
    • Nope

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2018 at 1:27 PM, JasonG said:

Grizz also aren't afraid of people, unfortunately.  

people texting and web surfing while driving are a bigger hazard then any type of forest wildlife. Cities are freaky places also. "Thank God I'm a country boy".B| yes vote from me.

Edited by Chris Hopkins

I'm not at all interested in the number of trail and area closures that are going to occur from this action.  Amazing they can find 28 million for this but road wash outs go years without repair due to lack of funds (fyi Ruth Creek blew out the road shy of the Hannegan Pass TH this winter).   Actually I'm beginning to think blown out roads are a good thing but thats a different topic.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dberdinka said:

I'm not at all interested in the number of trail and area closures that are going to occur from this action

That's been my experience in both in Canada and the US where grizzlies are present.  Another selfish reason of mine for wishing the money was spent on road and trail maintenance instead.

I'm with JasonG, I could do without grizzly bears in the North Cascades. It doesn't look like the "migration corridor" is all that blocked between the U.S.-Canada border; if the grizz wanted to set up shop in the North Cascades, they could (or will).

Not to mention that the Cascades aren't like the Sierra, or even Montana for that matter. It's a literal jungle. If it's anything like a lot of my black bear encounters, I won't even see the critter until I damn near bump into it. The only difference being that instead of turning tail and running, this bear has no problem with ripping me apart. Couple that with a user group that has little or no experience with these animals, and it just seems like we're pulling on a pair of Bad Idea Jeans. It'll all be fun and games until the NPS has to explain to some poor bastard's family why their loved one went out backpacking and got torn to shreds.

Just the .02 of a humble civil servant. Put the $$$ to better use.

The "migration corridor isn't all that blocked"...huh?

This statement sounds about as scientifically accurate as something my father would say when discussing climate change. 

Don't worry...chances are you're old enough that you'll be long dead before there's a significant enough population of Grizz up there that you'll have to worry about getting "torn to shreds".

BTW...Grizz kill a fraction of the humans that black bears take out every year but keep on believing and spreading this nonsense that black bears are cute, docile and totally afraid of humans while Grizz are blood thirsty killers. Most people will believe you when you spread that lie because they don't know a damn thing about bears they didn't learn from cartoons, advertising or movies.

Response to this thread is pretty disappointing. I figured more of you would be for restoring a vibrant population of one of the largest and most impressive N American mammals to part of it's historic range. I guess we see now why they were poisoned, trapped, hunted and harassed nearly to extinction and no one gave a shit about them until it was too late. It's a lot easier to act as if they have no right to be there because it might impact where you can park your car and enjoy a well manicured hike in the woods. NIMBY!