"Heat Exchanger" pots with XGK?

Jake_Gano

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting question.

I never tried it but my thought is that it would help but not much.  That is because with the stove it was meant for sits up inside the bottom of the pot. This keeps heat from leaking out so bad.   If you put these pots on a regular stove, the heat source can still leak out the sides.   In fact I would worry about the leaking heat melting those plasticy handles on the side.

if someone owns one of these, a side by side comparison would be interesting.  Similar sized pot with same amount of water and measure for time to boil.

I have a really old jetboil and if i can remember, I will try it out this weekend.

side note.  those pots are pricey.  $100?

Did a test comparing regular pot to a jet boil pot on a non jet boil stove

both pots had 2 cups water and same stove setting.  Non jetboil pot has a little bit bigger base area.  I took the insulator off the jet boil pot cause I thought that stove heat may melt it.

time to rolling boil for jet boil pot was 4 minutes

time for rolling boil on a regular pot was 4.5 minutes

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes, done it many times. Works great but I never compared it directly to other pots. I had a Primus Eta whitegas stove that had an integrated large pot with a lower heat exchanger, it was much more akin to a whisperlite than a canister system. I then got a standalone Eta pot with bottom heat exchanger and used it exclusively with a whisperlite, and added the MSR outside heat exchanger too!

I haven't used a heat exchanger pot with XGK or whisperlite.

What I did was adjust the wind screen foil pretty close. Never A/B tested it but I think it improves efficiency in a similar way.  Excess heat is funneled up the sides of the pot and any breeze or moving air doesn't move heat out away.  Since the burner sits below the pot I think you will still want to use a windscreen regardless.