Denali 2019

needtoclimb

At 44 I am not getting any younger, and next year is my year to climb Denali.  Wife has agreed to give me a month sabbatical from the family, and saving vacation time from work.  I have extensive Cascade climbs, glacier travel and general mountaineering experience.  I have never been to Alaska however.

I tried to find a team via CC.com about 5 years ago, and it fell apart early.  Then kids came along and my Denali dream was put on hold.  I am hoping to find or put together a team for next year.  If you are like minded, give me a shout.  Looking for people who truly want to do this and willing to commit.

Kevin

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/3/2018 at 5:31 PM, needtoclimb said:

At 44 I am not getting any younger, and next year is my year to climb Denali.  Wife has agreed to give me a month sabbatical from the family, and saving vacation time from work.  I have extensive Cascade climbs, glacier travel and general mountaineering experience.  I have never been to Alaska however.

I tried to find a team via CC.com about 5 years ago, and it fell apart early.  Then kids came along and my Denali dream was put on hold.  I am hoping to find or put together a team for next year.  If you are like minded, give me a shout.  Looking for people who truly want to do this and willing to commit.

Kevin

Hey Kevin. I'm trying really hard to make Denali 2019 a reality as well. I'm 48, and trying to get to the summit while I'm still strong and healthy. I've summited Rainier in the summer unguided, as well as Hood. Most of my experience is on rock, having successfully summited The Nose of El Cap and the Regular NE Face of Half Dome. If nothing else, that proves I'm a tenacious son of a bitch, lol. My plan would be to arrive in Alaska for this climb in the best physical condition of my life, with all the skills and knowledge needed for a safe and successful summit bid. Let me know if you're willing to explore this further. Thanks! -Derek Simms

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, 

I have taken AMTL 1 through AAI and experienced in glacier travel, crevasse rescue, rock climbing techniques, etc and currently taking ski mountaineering and AAIRE courses.  I have also dabbled in trad climbing and ice climbing but not very comfortable, yet.  I frequent Vertical World and climb around a 5.11a top rope and 5.10c sport.

I've done the Washington state volcanoes and some alpine rock with plans to get into ice climbing this winter.  I’m healthy and in very good shape with no struggles on my previous climbs.  I’m safe, low maintenance, and always learning.

I have all personal gear and a lot of group gear for Denali.  I will want to ski up to 14K.  I do not want to do the climb guided.  Climb dates would ideally be late May/June. 

I'm in Seattle and ready to meet people that are interested.  I probably will not do it with you unless we have climbed something prior.  

Thanks! 

David

Edited by DoStuff

• 2 months later...

Hello,

My name is Olivier and I live in Quebec, Canada. I was interested to climb Denali this summer (unguided). I am currently looking for a team and I would be available from late May until early July. If you are still looking for partners, let me know and we can discuss it more. 

I have experience with high altitude climb (6000m+) as well as camping in cold conditions. Good physical shape (distance runner + rock climbing).  Basic knowledge in orientation, glacier travel, crevasses. 

Regards,

Olivier

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone
My name is Antonio and I am writing from Spain regarding  possible dates and partnership for Denali expeditions. I am a 49 years old Spanish physician with some experience in high altitude trekking and glacier camping (I have been in Aconcagua and summited Kilimanjaro,  Elbrus, Chalung Kula, Huayna Potosi and Mera Peak, in Argentina, Rusia, India, Bolivia and Nepal, among others). I am also a registered doctor in Spain and United Kingdom with an International Diploma in Mountain Medicine ( UIAA/ICAR/ISMM ).  
On 2018  I was about to join an Argentinian expedition to Denali on early June. That was a non-guided expedition though there was an experienced team leader. Unfortunately they decided to shorten up the expedition by first including an ascent to another peak in Chile.  As I live in Europe it was not convenient at all for me flying from Spain to Chile and then heading Alaska for Denali. I was recently looking for some guided expedition to Denali and I came into this forum by chance. I am also considering joining a group of climbers on a non guided expedition.  I am quite fit (recently completed a Marathon) and also have some basic skills on glaciated terrain though I am not a hardcore climber nor a seasoned camper. 
Hope to hear from anybody who is interested in this expedition
Regards,

Antonio

• 1 month later...

Hi, had planned on a Cassin climb in May/June '19 but partner's work schedule changed and he's out.  Still very interested in Cassin with someone with the right background but also up for a West Rib or Buttress climb in that order of preference.  

Please message me if interred and available.

Best--Bill

Hey Bill. I’m registered to climb the West Buttress starting May 23. I was teamed up with needtoclimb, but our team fell apart and I’m looking for a partner. Please feel free to call if you’d like to talk. Derek (205) 585-8650.