• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisOwen

soloing vs free soloing

Soloing can be anything that involves fear of falling and dying (Mt Si, Das Tooth). Free soloing usually means climbing something that is commonly considered worthy of a fifth class rating.

For some people free soloing might be a long 5.4 climb, but others may require a higher rating :battlecage:

Soloing is climbing by yourself.  Free climbing is climbing w/o aid. Free soloing is free climbing without a belay. Rope soling is any kind of climbing (free or aid) by yourself, with a rope for self-belay. Grade has nothing to do with it.

• Thanks 1
  • Rawk on! 1

Its definitely higher on known ground than onsight, the Eye felt like a hike while the west ridge of Constance felt like free soloing.

sounds like a chest beat to me - free soloing is by definition climbing/o a rope, but at some point 1st class turns into 2nd class and so on, so where you start  being afraid of dying if you peel off i guess is free soloing, which could be still just hiking

whatever gets you off i reckon, but i prefer long, easy free-solos - 2000+ feet of 5.4 is ideal :)

• Like 1

I'm confused by your abuse of terminology, you aren't a Russian bot by any chance, trying to stir up division?