Oregon

olyclimber

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple. I'd rather sit in my warm, dry car and let someone pump my gas for me. What's there not to like?

Can you do that in Washington? Sure, if you can find a full-serve station when you want it. Good luck with that.

That's why I, and other Oregonians, have twice voted down self-serve in the state. The legislators snuck this one by without a vote.

Edited by pcg

18 hours ago, pcg said:

It's simple. I'd rather sit in my warm, dry car and let someone pump my gas for me. What's there not to like?

There's no choice in the matter.  I have no problem if you want to sit on your ass,  just don't require me to.  But then again, I tend to lean Libertarian. :poke:

I've been enjoying my guvernment-mandated luxury for so long that I didn't even realize I was missing freedom of choice!  Hmm, there has to be some subtle political truth buried here somewhere...

Edited by pcg

Honestly half the time down there I was annoyed, and half the time I enjoyed someone running around and pumping the gas for me.

It felt like a hold over from another era, an era that I'd probably rather live in.   But I  don't want America to be like that again.... I think I just want to time travel and live in my childhood when I didn't have grown up concerns.

I hated having to worry about whether or not I'd be able to find a gas station that was open while driving around rural Oregon, but if it ever goes away I'll miss being able to use it as a quick and easy way to estimate the IQ of the person that I was talking to when I was in the state and the subject came up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2018 at 1:36 PM, JayB said:

I hated having to worry about whether or not I'd be able to find a gas station that was open while driving around rural Oregon, but if it ever goes away I'll miss being able to use it as a quick and easy way to estimate the IQ of the person that I was talking to when I was in the state and the subject came up.

JayB nails the issue - LACK of open gas stations in rural Oregon. Which is probably the only place you're gonna see self-serve. Case in Point: Oakridge, OR, gateway to Diamond Peak, Crater Lake, and some sick mountain biking. My mom lived there 15+ years, and almost every single morning she would head to the Post Office and see people sleeping in their cars at the pumps. Certainly these people aren't idiots (well, some of them are); they have smart phones, etc. You just don't expect a town the size of Oakridge (with multiple gas stations, a brewery, hostel, outdoor gear store, etc) to NOT have 24/7 gas. Well, that's what this bill is all about. 

Personally, I'd RATHER pump my own. Why? Well for starters, my '99 Outback would click-off with about 4 gallons left to go. So the only way i could get those fuckers to "top it off" was to make sure they filled it as slow as possible...you know, on the first click. Pain in the ass. Plus I don't run gas down the side of my new car. Or take 15 fucking minutes to get to me / get back to me. I could care less about the cost - GOOD LUCK not buying the gas you have to have... spoken like the road warrior I truly am - I put over 300K on that Outback in less than 10 years!! 

spray spray spray spray spray some more!