New Years Ice Location

bedellympian

Obviously I'll have to wait until closer to the time to see how conditions are but what are some good places to ice climb over New Years?

I was thinking Lee Vining would have more daylight but might not be in much at that time.

Hyalite is another option.

Canmore seems like its usually way too cold.

I have friends going to Ouray but I only have 10 days and it's a REALLY long drive.

Other options?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the ice season is in full swing by thanksgiving in banff. I have a friend who goes up there on thanksgiving often.

Back when I was in college, I went up to banff every xmas break. plenty of day light to get stuff done. you may start hiking and hike out in the dark but there is still plenty of daylight for the goods.

given you are from bend, bozeman is much closer though. I have not been there around new years but i suspect that it is also in game shape by then.

if given the choice, I will always pick Banff over any other ice climbing venue. that place is super special and just plain awesome. Cody is a close, very close second, but is a lot harder to get to from western washington. I just really dig long moderate climbs.