[TR] The Devil's Tongue - Standard- Illegal Immigration Ridge 9/16/2017

JasonG

Trip: The Devil's Tongue - Standard- Illegal Immigration Ridge

Date: 9/16/2017

Trip Report:

In anticipation of our 2018 unsupported mission to the North Pillar of the Devil's Thumb Scott and I recently completed a training climb of the Devil's Tongue. We feel it is a good step towards our end goal, mainly because we saw THREE bears..... and we hear AK has a few of them. That, and we had to ford a river (THE MIGHTY SKAGIT), fight with a Barred Owl, and scramble lichen encrusted EXPOSED third class rock. It was pretty intense.

But the pastoral scenery from camp and the approach to the peak helped to calm our nerves, even when we had to sweep bear scat from out chosen tent site. Intense! The chocolate didn't hurt either. But unless you're planning on the Devil's Thumb next year, there's probably no reason to climb the Devil's Tongue. This report is mainly to save you the effort of finding out firsthand why nobody goes up there (we were first party to sign in this year).

See what I mean?

the MIGHTY Skagit:

2017Devilstongue34606.JPG

2017Devilstongue34612.JPG

Jack and Ross Lake:

2017Devilstongue34626.JPG

Hard Mox and that wall that Lunger and Layton climbed on Lemolo (separate trips):

2017Devilstongue34662.JPG

Luna and S. Pickets:

2017Devilstongue34670.JPG

2017Devilstongue34729.JPG

More Lunger and Rat FA's, Zorro wall on N. Hozo and NF of S. Hozo:

2017Devilstongue34732.JPG

Northern Lights on the left horizon, fire in BC on the right:

2017Devilstongue34750.JPG

2017Devilstongue34802.JPG

THE DEVIL'S TONGUE:

2017Devilstongue34807.JPG

Foxy Moxy:

2017Devilstongue34811.JPG

The Impressive NFs of McNaught and Rahm to the right of the Devil's Tongue:

2017Devilstongue34846.JPG

2017Devilstongue34883.JPG

2017Devilstongue34894.JPG

Custer (L) and Rahm ® from the summit:

2017Devilstongue34904.JPG

Scott on the summit with Spickard behind:

2017Devilstongue34909.JPG

Hazy Pickets:

2017Devilstongue34926.JPG

2017Devilstongue34946.JPG

Scott inspecting his tax dollars at work:

2017Devilstongue34961.JPG

2017Devilstongue34983.JPG

Hardman living at camp:

2017Devilstongue34990.JPG

2017Devilstongue35014.JPG

2017Devilstongue35040.JPG

2017Devilstongue35047.JPG

2017Devilstongue35074.JPG

2017Devilstongue35079.JPG

2017Devilstongue35085.JPG

2017Devilstongue35091.JPG

Good bivy on way to Trailhead:

2017Devilstongue35103.JPG

Gear Notes:

Helmet, cord for hanging food.

Approach Notes:

Old Galene Lakes Trail. Save mileage by fording the Skagit after walking from the Nepopekum day use parking area to river. Follow flagged route uphill on far side which deposits you at Middle Galene lakes. Follow your nose cross country from there.

Edited by JasonG
  • Like 1

It is awaiting your ascent of the Tongue Oly! I had no idea what I was looking at other than a breaker bar with an old axe head shoved on top. I will look it up now, I'm curious. And sorry to spill the beans on the top sekrit moderator hideout. Obviously I got carried away when I was inserting pics.

Darin- I took that photo just for you.

You need to get in there Phil! The hike in from the river isn't bad at all and the ridge running over towards the Devil's Tongue stellar. Even if no peaks are climbed it is a great fall destination.

Thanks Mr. Sloth! It is mainly the result of spending way too much time looking at maps and Fred's books, and liking to get away from the crowds. The Cascades never cease to impress me, year after year, with surprising nooks and crannies.

And I hate to admit that I hadn't seen that video before Ivan. Damn. Glad I haven't been cut down . . .. . yet.

• 6 years later...
On 9/28/2017 at 7:17 PM, JasonG said:

It is awaiting your ascent of the Tongue Oly! I had no idea what I was looking at other than a breaker bar with an old axe head shoved on top. I will look it up now, I'm curious. And sorry to spill the beans on the top sekrit moderator hideout. Obviously I got carried away when I was inserting pics.

Darin- I took that photo just for you.

This is an incredibly delayed response but I believe that "breaker bar" is actually a mining drill bit meant to be hit with a sledge.  I've found several stashes in the Pasayten that have that same hexagonal/octagonal shape.

38 minutes ago, JBo6 said:

This is an incredibly delayed response but I believe that "breaker bar" is actually a mining drill bit meant to be hit with a sledge.  I've found several stashes in the Pasayten that have that same hexagonal/octagonal shape.

Yep agree. I was just watching a youtube channel this past weekend and they were exploring an old gold mine down in California.  It was a huge adit, with passage ways going everywhere.  They found a ton of that old steel left in the mine that looked exactly like that, and you could see the business end of them where they were pretty used up.  I think you could also hook them onto a machine driven by a compressor or something? Or at least the mine in the Youtube vid had one.