[TR] Mt. Challenger & Whatcom Peak - Challenger & Whatcom Glaciers 8/21/2017

NCNP Rangers

Trip: Mt. Challenger & Whatcom Peak - Challenger & Whatcom Glaciers

Date: 8/21/2017

Trip Report:

We did a patrol to the Northern Pickets last week, climbing almost all of Challenger, and approaching over Whatcom Peak. Look here for a link to the NPS/NOCA Conditions page with photos and more information. The most pertinent thing to share is that accessing the final rocky summit of Challenger is very difficult right now due to a large moat feature. We exited via Eiley Wiley Ridge and the Big Beaver Valley.

Approach Notes:

Hannegan Pass-Whatcom Pass-Whatcom Peak

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rangers, a partner and I had plans to head to Challenger via Hannegan etc. this Thursday. I'd like to speak with a member of the team that posted this TR tomorrow (Monday) if possible. What number should I call and for whom should I ask?

Thanks for your help,

John Sharp

(425) 765-7747

Hi Rangers, a partner and I had plans to head to Challenger via Hannegan etc. this Thursday. I'd like to speak with a member of the team that posted this TR tomorrow (Monday) if possible. What number should I call and for whom should I ask?

Thanks for your help,

John Sharp

(425) 765-7747

I will pass your info on to the rangers who did the trip.

We'll post a full TR with photos in the next couple of days, but in the meantime, wanted to advise that the Challenger main summit is still accessible by staying to the far left side of the glacier. At the lower lip of the large 'schrund (with exposed rock in its middle) that's typically crossed on the right (ramp still good), work left to the base of the summit ridge line. The continuous snow ridge is maybe 45 degrees at its steepest; we used two tools each and two pickets for running belays. Once on top of the snow ridge, moving from snow to the third-class rock section is not too difficult, either. The final climb to the top is sporty and fun. PM if you'd like more detail. John Sharp