How many times do you resole your boots?

wfinley

Considering sending in my (La Sportiva Nepal) boots to Dave Page for a third resole. This time they'll need a full rand / sole rebuild. The boots are almost 15 years old and while they see a fair amount of use... they don't see that much given I have plastics for the winter and lighter boots for the summer.

How many times do you guys resole your boots before deciding it's time to buy a new pair?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the uppers are in good shape and fit your foot well, that would make it worth getting a resole instead of buying a new boot. that boot is fully formed to your feet.

now wether it is worth resoling because you don't use it much any more, that is a personal question.

I wore a pair of Galibier Super Guides until the uppers wore clean through back in the 70s-80s - resoled (and steel shanks replaced) three times. If the uppers are sound, and the fit is still good, I'd resole.

Thanks. Uppers are mostly sound. Waterproof is questionable... but I think it might be more a matter of leaking around the rand than the actual leather.

• 2 weeks later...

Going rate for a used but good condition set of Nepal EVOs seems to be around 200-225$, sometimes cheaper, sometimes more, depending. I just got a set of Nepals used a single time for $200 on eBay. The benefit to the newer Nepal EVOs is that they are Goretex, unlike the older Nepal Extremes. (Well, technically they maybe aren't "older" as they are still sold in markets outside NA).

So that may change the cost/benefit ratio of having them resoled. For reference, I had a set of Nepal Extremes that needed a resole and I chose to give them away instead, but the uppers were pretty beat.

Going rate for a used but good condition set of Nepal EVOs seems to be around 200-225$, sometimes cheaper, sometimes more, depending. I just got a set of Nepals used a single time for $200 on eBay. The benefit to the newer Nepal EVOs is that they are Goretex, unlike the older Nepal Extremes. (Well, technically they maybe aren't "older" as they are still sold in markets outside NA).

Thanks. Didn't even think about ebay!