Cascade high routes

lutzman

I was looking for ideas for a trip in the cascades that might be similar to the ptarmigan traverse but wouldn't be too dangerous to do solo. I don't mind doing a bit of solo glacier travel but don't want to do anything too sketchy. ptarmigan might be just beyond by danger threshold for a solo journey (although I haven't done it) but would love to know if there is anything similar in length (or longer) and scenery that be a bit more low key.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

indeed, a long hike in the enchantments is hard to beat

but really, am i crazy in my recollections? i dont' recall really having to contend w/ crevasses at all on the ptarmigan? we brought a rope, but i don't recall really ever using it (except for rapping the red ledges as we headed for the exit at cascade pass)

now, running out of booze n' smokes i DO remember, as it resulted in us covering more ground in a single day than we had in all days combined prior to :)

Ive never done the full enchantments loop but I've done all the peaks enough times that it wouldn't be the first choice.

would love to hear more thoughts on ptarmigan as a solo if anybody has done it. I haven't been anywhere south of cascade pass so I have no idea how broken up those glaciers are.

Ive never done the full enchantments loop but I've done all the peaks enough times that it wouldn't be the first choice.

would love to hear more thoughts on ptarmigan as a solo if anybody has done it. I haven't been anywhere south of cascade pass so I have no idea how broken up those glaciers are.

Falling in a crevasse is only one hazard in the mtns. Loose rock is another big one. Moats is another. And vicious attack goats!

Ptarmigan Traverse unroped and speedy

Leor's accomplishments are extraordinary, but I post as reference for a party that did the Ptarmigan Traverse (in its modern incarnation as a high route) sans rope.

I think "weekend warrior" type folk could reasonably consider doing this route unroped in appropriate conditions.

Edited by jared_j

I was looking for ideas for a trip in the cascades that might be similar to the ptarmigan traverse but wouldn't be too dangerous to do solo. I don't mind doing a bit of solo glacier travel but don't want to do anything too sketchy. ptarmigan might be just beyond by danger threshold for a solo journey (although I haven't done it) but would love to know if there is anything similar in length (or longer) and scenery that be a bit more low key.

http://www.blurb.com/b/2923822-north-cascades-traverses

• 3 weeks later...
I can't remember which route but I remember a trip report years ago of a couple of guys trail running some long traverse, maybe the ptarmigan? they did not have a rope. hopefully someone can remember that trip. looked stunning.

Was it the picket traverse? Couple guys did that in trail shoes a few years ago. It's in the NW mountain journal inbox.