Resting Pulse

Dru

I read in an Ian Parnell interview that having a low rest pulse is supposedly a good thing for endurance oriented mountaineers. I myself have a low rest pulse, so low that usually when I go to give blood they look at me real strange like I should be dead or something. Can anybody explain if and why, low rest pulse is supposedly good? confused.gif

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read in an Ian Parnell interview that having a low rest pulse is supposedly a good thing for endurance oriented mountaineers. I myself have a low rest pulse, so low that usually when I go to give blood they look at me real strange like I should be dead or something. Can anybody explain if and why, low rest pulse is supposedly good? confused.gif

nope, but it may have something to do with your recent whining about sleeping cold. Seems like a faster heart rate might circulate more blood, keeping your extremities warmer.

Maybe. Geek_em8.gif

How bout you other low rate guys? cold sleepers or not? I haven't checked mine in a long time but it was nowhere near that low (maybe mid 50's) and I'm usually a warm sleeper guy. Come to think of it, I'm ususally comfortable dressed lighter than most of my partners.

Is this related to metabolism?

jon i dunno the max cause i dont have the heart rate monitor to set of the alarm when it is time for more Gu. I do know that when i get out there and climb up someything like Cheam it is pounding loud enough, that i can hear it when i stop moving, and it sounds like a house beat so that must be in the 100's of BPM?

jon i dunno the max cause i dont have the heart rate monitor to set of the alarm when it is time for more Gu. I do know that when i get out there and climb up someything like Cheam it is pounding loud enough, that i can hear it when i stop moving, and it sounds like a house beat so that must be in the 100's of BPM?

http://www.home.connectnet.com/eoinf/heartrate.html

check that out Dru

Whatever smartass I know you have your heart rate monitor hooked up to a peristaltic pump offering a steady flow of GU and horsecock to your bloodstream.

35 is pretty fucking low.

I guess i should have said 35 to 40, it was 35 one time, 38 another time, and 40 when i took it myself in a first aid class.

the other question, is how fast should your heart rate return to rest pulse after exercise? I see Twight in Xtreme Alpinism, complains that 3 days after a hard climb his pulse was up, and he should have hydrated more or something. i always thought it was good to keep pulse elevated, as it kept your metabolism cranking. maybe not if you wanna build back fat reserves, though. HCL.gif

35 is low.

I just took mine. I am at 51 typing this right now. I was at 75 in early December 2002 just when I had my casts taken off my legs. Since I have been doing my therapy I work out 6 times a week with 50 minutes doing aerobic activity. So....it doesn't take long to reduce your hear rate.....

I suspect though I need to start working on some aneoribic activity to get "the endurance power" back.

I read somewhere, that low rest pulse is at least partly genetic. No doubt influenced by sedentaryness and other factors. If I had a watch I could check it right now.

One thing I have always noticed, is that I have "cold hands": in fact the girls would always comment on it, when we had square dancing lessons in junior high wink.gif maybe that is a result of low heart rate too? I dont think i get the screaming barfies any more or less than other ice climbers though.