Yoho snow/trail conditions?

jimmyleg66

Has anyone been skiing in Yoho park recently? We're heading into the Stanley Mitchel Hut Saturday and would apprieciate any beta we can get our hands on. Is the trail trackset to the falls? Hows the trail from the falls to the hut? We'd like to ski the whole 23km's in one go, but there's only two of us, so if there's heavy trailbraking we'll probably overnight at Takakkaw Falls.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Mer, can't help you out. Nobody but me and one pal wanted to ski the 44km (round trip) in and out of the hut, so we joined some friends up at the Asulkan Hut instead. We could hear helicopters flying all day Saturday and were wondering what the hell was going on. Found out Sunday morning when a warden heli'd up to the hut. They were looking for a guy who's truck had been parked overnight in a no overnight parking area. Turns out he was in Golden the whole time. Very sad about the kids. I think I'm going to ski the Coast for the remainder of the season. We did a tour up to Asulkan pass on Sunday and remote triggered a size 3 into the valley south of the pass. Multiple size 2's with fracture lines 0.5 to 1.5m deep(collectively a size 3). There was one chunk of a cornice that fractured off that had to be close to 2.5m thick. Its a steep narrow valley below and it ran for at least 3000 ft. Amazing to see but very sobering. The really scary part was it didn't make a sound until the whole valley was boiling with snow.