State of the Nation Address

allthumbs

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think America has one now...George Bush

Not A winston churchill, THE winston churchill. GW and Churchill are not even in the same league, so don't slander Winston like that.

Here are some quotes:

1. Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

2. have a tendency, against which I should, perhaps, be on my guard, to swim against the stream.

3. Twenty to twenty-five! Those are the years!

4. If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons.

5. My views are a harmonious process which keeps them in relation to the current movement of events.

6. Personally I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

7. I have no intention of passing my remaining years in explaining or withdrawing anything I have said in the past, still less in apologizing for it.

8. A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.

9. I have been a journalist and half my lifetime I have earned my living by selling words and I hope thoughts.

10. I am a child of the House of Commons. was brought up in my father’s house to believe in democracy.

11. My mother was American and my ancestors were officers in Washington’s army. So I am myself an English-speaking union.

12. All the years that I have been in the House of Commons I have always said to myself one thing: Do not interrupt,’ and I have never been able to keep to that resolution.

13. am without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix.

14. It had many defects and teething troubles, and when these became apparent the tank was appropriately rechristened the ‘Churchill’. These defects have now been largely over-come.

15. I knew nothing about science, but I knew something of scientists, and had had much practice as a Minister in handling things I did not understand.

16. Now for a short spell I became ‘the man on the spot.’ Instead of sitting at home waiting for the news from the front I could send it myself. This was exhilarating.

17. Be on your guard! I am going to speak in French — a formidable undertaking and one which will put great demands upon your friendship for Great Britain.

18. For myself, I am an optimist — it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

19. I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.

20. We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us.

Edited by COL._Von_Spanker

How about the AIDS relief to Africa? Was that as big a surprise to the rest of you as it was to me? Years from now it may be one of his most important legacies.

Yes, I was surprised, and I will be more surprised if Bush's leagcy is more than opening up roadless areas to motorized vehicles. But considering the huge budget deficit we currently are suffering in this country, where does he think the money is going to come from? More tax cuts aren't going to HELP.

...where does he think the money is going to come from? More tax cuts aren't going to HELP.

Actually, Jules, that's incorrect. It has been shown that cutting taxes actually, INCREASES government tax revenues. Ronald Reagan proved this in the '80s when he cut tax rates and subsequent revenues increased by large margins. The more of their own money that people keep means more money in circulation in the economy buying goods and services.

Allison, your politics don't allow you to objectively evaluate a speech. You may have been the only person in America who noticed his eyebrows. And don't you think the point of the lines about torture were intended to scare people?

My politics don't allow me to objectively evaluate a speech? Why, because I'm a stinky liberal? hahaha.gif

Graphically describing methods of torture is a cheap device. I don't think Shrub is smart enough to do better than that, but certainly his speechwriters are.

"How dare he get up there and decide where our troops get "used", when he dodged,"

Now that's interesting, I was under the impression he flew jets.

So tell us, how did you feel about a real dodger, in the form of one Bill Clinton, telling us about his concern for the troops as he sent some to die in Somalia, for example?

Then we have the underlying problem with your stance that's the best one, that somehow one can't really tell someone else to do something they haven't done themselves. Is that your position, or am I misreading it? In order to support using troops, must I personally suit up and head for Iraq to validate my position?

"and not a single one of the rich war-mongering politician's off-spring will be serving."

You're telling me you somehow "know" that "not a single one" of any rich war monger has a child in any of the services? That's a pretty big claim.

What's up with the Clinton stuff? Do you really think I liked the guy? Newsflash, Mtgoat, I didn't like Clinton; I didn't like his use of the military.

And yeah, I guess I'm old-fashioned: If someone wants something as serious as war, then I really really really think that that someone should have the courage and conviction to serve in the war effort, risking as much as the front-line soldiers. Yep, that's just me talking. That's the way I'd like it. Do you think the hawks would be pursuing this war if that's the way it was? And their children were going? Hmmm....

Recently heard something about congressional members' off-spring not serving. Do you have info to the contrary? I'd love to hear it....

And I believe it was Bush Sr. who flew jets. I think his son flopped around Texas in the National Guard, getting his nose white and his dick red.

...where does he think the money is going to come from? More tax cuts aren't going to HELP.

Actually, Jules, that's incorrect. It has been shown that cutting taxes actually, INCREASES government tax revenues. Ronald Reagan proved this in the '80s when he cut tax rates and subsequent revenues increased by large margins. The more of their own money that people keep means more money in circulation in the economy buying goods and services.

Actually this is partially true, we ran up a huge deficit, incurred a large debt. Also, it has been proven that cutting taxes for middle income taxpayers is more effective at stimulating the economy than cutting the top tax payers taxes, which shifts the burden to lower income tax payers. (per Lapper curve, Brookings Institute)

fruit.gif

I am starting to see war as a win-win situation.

If Wolfowitz and Cheney get the war they want, they will have to contend with some very thorny issues. First, there will be a big backlash from various quarters which could dwarf what happened on Sept 11. Second, there is the issue of what will happen on the ground in Iraq afterward, in terms of the power vacuum. No one has offered a clear vision of how a transfer of power will occur. We just go in and get rid of the bad guy and drop chocolate bars on the survivors and it's cool. Yeah, right. Finally, given the shaky state of the economy and the resources needed to fight the war, it's an even bet this war will have even further negative effects on domestic economic security.

The other "win" is that if Bush et al don't get their war, they will be regarded as weak, which will hurt their chances of re-election in 2004.

I can't wait to see what they decide to do.

I am starting to see war as a win-win situation.

If Wolfowitz and Cheney get the war they want, they will have to contend with some very thorny issues. First, there will be a big backlash from various quarters which could dwarf what happened on Sept 11. Second, there is the issue of what will happen on the ground in Iraq afterward, in terms of the power vacuum. No one has offered a clear vision of how a transfer of power will occur. We just go in and get rid of the bad guy and drop chocolate bars on the survivors and it's cool. Yeah, right. Finally, given the shaky state of the economy and the resources needed to fight the war, it's an even bet this war will have even further negative effects on domestic economic security.

The other "win" is that if Bush et al don't get their war, they will be regarded as weak, which will hurt their chances of re-election in 2004.

I can't wait to see what they decide to do.

It's potentially win/win if we narrowly see this as a war against Republicans, but it's so much bigger. Please don't so blithely elide over the Iraqi civilians who would be killed for no reason. And the harm we would do to international relations. The precedent would be horrific.

It's early and the irony didnt' come through very well. What I am saying in the first paragraph is that, yes, there will be various casualties (Iraqi civilians, American troops, etc) and this will on the whole probably be more destructive to America's position in the world than it will be helpful. Arab countries will further villify us, our allies will become more nervous because of likely stepped up terrorist activities, and so on. The simplistic view that we can use force to get ourselves out of any predicament is much easier to sell than a thought-out approach to dealing with the complexities of the modern world. And that's where Bush does his best work: he has no interest (or ability, I think) to understand and deal with the complexities of any serious issue.

Dick Cheney got 11 military deferments. George Bush Jr's war "experience" is limited to flying toy planes in Texas.

Colin Powell doesn't like war and is being pushed to sell it. Stormin' Norman says he'd like a bit more info before making up his mind.

Actually this is partially true, we ran up a huge deficit, incurred a large debt. Also, it has been proven that cutting taxes for middle income taxpayers is more effective at stimulating the economy than cutting the top tax payers taxes, which shifts the burden to lower income tax payers. (per Lapper curve, Brookings Institute)

fruit.gif

For the record, the reason we ran up huge deficit/debt was because Reagan had to make a deal with the devil (Democratic-controlled Congress) in order to fulfill his campaign promise to cut taxes. He got his tax cuts, but he had to give the Democrats their spending increases in order to get the votes to carry his bill in Congress.