approach shoes

sketchfest

I had a pair of 5.10 mountain masters and thought they sucked. They didn't hike well, didn't climb well and fell part in a season. They felt like a big poofy pair of basketball shoes, although on the plus side the sticky rubber was pretty worthy. Still, big thumbs down IMHO.

well imho, they hike just fine on moderate terrain (especially granite slabs). they're not really meant for "climbing" anything technical; that's why 5.10 makes technical rock climbing shoes. i have worn them for somewhat lengthy day hikes/approaches and find them way comfier than the more traditional hiking boot. my only "real" complaint so far is that they are rather bulky to pack.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Five Ten's best selling approach shoe. Mountain Masters have proven their mettle world wide, with their bomber construction. This is THE Yosemite lifestyle shoe--designed for trails, traverses and technical scrambles . Or simply hangin' tentside."

From the website. My feet were pretty cooked in them after hiking Snow Creek trail to Prusik. Of course, YMMV but I won't be buying any mroe 5.10 shoes. They're gaining notoriety for being shoddy on construction.

still looking for these:

http://gusa.site.yahoo.net/og162-browse.html

anybody seen 'em? They've got pocket glacier all over 'em fruit.gif

I Think I once saw a pair of these at Feathered friends, but I could be mistaken. They had a super stiff last (as they should if it has a heel bail) so I was like "If I'm gonna hike in some stiff ass waffle stompers I may as well wear my boots" . The stiffness would be good for some things and bad for others, I guess it just depends on the intended use.

EDIT: They are sorta heavy, over 2 pounds/pr (or 1lb for a 1/2 pair as they list it on the web site). The trango s' weigh less.

If you plan on hiking and climbing in the same shoes: La Sportiva Boulders. Replace the footbed and they will be more comfortable to hike in and you will twist your ankle less. They accept SnoSeal well, making them more comfortable in mild snow conditions.

If you plan on hiking in approach shoes and climbing in your rock shoes: Salomon Flagstaffs. Real lightweight, more support and comfort than any approach shoe. They also collapse down to fit in your pack for a carryover. Same support and sole as the highend Salomons, but $40 cheaper.

If you plan on walking from your car to the crag and only taking your shoes off while you climb each pitch: Who Fucking Cares What Shoes You Wear.

I swear by the mountain masters- I have always had foot problems and these are the most comfortable shoe I've ever hiked in- done many alpine climbs in 'em (n ridge stuart, dragontail, etc) but, they aren't durable for shit- I've had to buy a new pair every season.

fredrogers says: "I picked up a pair of Garmont Sticky weekends, unfortunately a 1/2 size too small, but liked them a lot. I know Second Bounce still has a crapload of them new at $49 a pair, but with limited sizes."

wear them without the footbeds and with thin socks for a while and they'll stretch to custom fit smile.gif

What do you want them for?

I wear my Chaco sandals for almost anything. Easy to clip in, but a bit heavy.

Or just a pair of low cut shoes like E3 Luckies. <$100 CDN.

If it's too technical for those, then I put my rock shoes on.

Scrambling routes and "low 5th" gets my Trango Plus boots.

From the website. My feet were pretty cooked in them after hiking Snow Creek trail to Prusik. Of course, YMMV but I won't be buying any mroe 5.10 shoes. They're gaining notoriety for being shoddy on construction.

MM did V. Used the mountain masters to hike into the cirque of towers in the Wind River range carrying a 70 lbs pack and I thought they did quite well. Ditto other comments above absorbing odors - walked through a lot a sage brush that week and 6 months later they still smell like it. blush.gif

Ok, so for the most part, there seems to be a fairly common link in everybody's thoughts about shoes. So maybe I better explain exactly what I'm looking for and see if we can narrow it down even further.

I want a light(as in weight) shoe that I could trail run in, but offers enough support to allow me to carry a light pack without causing my arches to drop. Then it needs to have a stiff enough sole to allow the use of some instep crampons. Anymore suggestions?

I have loved every pair of Adidas trail-runners and light hiker shoes I've ever owned (currently have about ---oh, hell, I'm not going to admit how many pairs of shoes I own!). hahaha.gif

Fit is narrow, though, so if you have a wide foot might not work for you. Maybe they come in wides?

Edited by jules

i saw a climbing video once where Paul Piana approaches Smith Rock in a pair of Cowboy boots or something.....

Ron Kauk did that in one of those Masters of Stone videos.

Yep, in the original MOS. And it was Yosemite, not Smith. Come on, Dru, pull your head out! cantfocus.gif

No, it was a home video he shot that he (Piana) showed at one of his slideshows. Maybe he was rippin off Kauk or trying to reclaim cowboy heritage from a California dude.

"Live your life like a thrown knife" - this was just after they did the route on Proboscis with Galen Rowell. Speaking of which I hear Iker Pou and his brother Enaki onsighted that route in 2001 summer!!!!!

sketchfest - that's a lot to ask for from a single shoe.... but reasonable, i suppose. i have the la sportiva superfly (bought on a whim). very light, sticky rubber, but too sensitive (you feel the rocks through the sole). easily modified with a better insole and another thin layer of plastic. these are great for running and climb decently (although no edging).

for what you are looking for the Exum would work well. Stiffer (and beefier) midsole, but not as light.

for something that climbs extremely well (but not as pleasant to run with), check out the Kayland Spider line. you can leave the "free shoes" at home. Complete with sticky rubber, rand, etc. The have a 3/4 version for more support.

No, it was a home video he shot that he (Piana) showed at one of his slideshows. Maybe he was rippin off Kauk or trying to reclaim cowboy heritage from a California dude.

"Live your life like a thrown knife" - this was just after they did the route on Proboscis with Galen Rowell. Speaking of which I hear Iker Pou and his brother Enaki onsighted that route in 2001 summer!!!!!

You duped the Doctor into correcting you, and you know it. mad.gif Was the Proboscis route the one where they had to bivy at the top but there was no place for an anchor so they just hung a portaledge off either side of the knife-edge summit ridge thingy, counterbalance-style?

This seems like a popular thread. Wondering how poeple like the LaSportiva Exum Ridge? I know the Exum Ridge hasn't been around as long as the others. Any owners of this shoe out there?

fruit.gif

There are a couple of new versions this year as well, Colorado Trail and Monarch Crest.

My take on the Exum ridge is that it's a cheap "price point" shoe for the everyday used, as oppose to a true approach shoe. I tried them out in the store and I just didn't like the way they looked with my spring ensemble....just kdding...but it seems like more of a 'consumer' shoe as opposed to a performance shoe, sorta like the difference in the really nice new balance running shoes and the ones you can get for $59.95 at your local outdoor retailer.

I got a pair of those Kayland spider shoes on sale for about 50.00 they are the best and climb great...hard part is finding them as for those low top garmonts (dragon tail) that have the crampon compatable sole. I saw a pair on ebay my size but I got outbid and lost they sold for about 40.00 new on ebay by this one seller for some time then they sold out of all sizes...

{"My take on the Exum ridge is that it's a cheap "price point" shoe for the everyday used, as oppose to a true approach shoe. I tried them out in the store and I just didn't like the way they looked with my spring ensemble....just kdding...but it seems like more of a 'consumer' shoe as opposed to a performance shoe, sorta like the difference in the really nice new balance running shoes and the ones you can get for $59.95 at your local outdoor retailer."}

That was my first impression too, but I know folks who use them all the time and for a lot of stuff. I hear they climb pretty well for a not-so-climbing approach shoe. They also seemed to hold up OK. Not a bad choice if you don't plan on climbing in your shoes too much.

I was looking for approach shoes this past fall and tried on the Exum Ridges and Mt. Masters, among others. I ended up getting the MMs because I thought the Exums were too much like running shoes (I've already got those...). I have narrow feet and need a little more stability, and the MMs are beefier for sure. I've only had them less than a year, but climbed the north face of Vesper with them. Mmm... slabby!