Good Non-Climbing Adventure Read

Greg_W

I just finished "South" by Sir Ernest Shackleton, which is his "official" version of the Endurance Expedition. It is written like a trip jounal, which I liked; my wife didn't like this style as much. All in all, it is a fantastic read and, through his style, really makes plain the extent of privation and suffering that his crew went through between 1914 and 1916. What I found interesting is that his entire crew, once rescued, was eager to get back to England so they could join in the War.

Very good read; I recommend it highly.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The journals of Lewis and Clark are pretty interesting, too. You might not want to read the whole thing, but the Mandan's were pretty cool, their encounters with grizzly bears were exciting, and it is fun to read about how they spent an entire winter complaining about having to eat salmon.

You'd like "Mawson's Will" a lot then too. bigdrink.gif

Name is familiar, was he on one of Scott's expeditions?

Mawson was an Australian geologist who went to explore for the motherland and came back ooo.gif. But you are supposed to save that book for a long trip to a cold, kinda depressing place ...

off the top of my head among other exploration books I liked: the arctic grail by pierre berton, the barren ground by mowatt(i think), great exploration hoaxes by dave roberts.

You'd like "Mawson's Will" a lot then too. bigdrink.gif

Name is familiar, was he on one of Scott's expeditions?

Mawson was an Australian geologist who went to explore for the motherland and came back ooo.gif. But you are supposed to save that book for a long trip to a cold, kinda depressing place ...

off the top of my head among other exploration books I liked: the arctic grail by pierre berton, the barren ground by mowatt(i think), great exploration hoaxes by dave roberts.

j_b (aka, "leftwing wacko") tongue.gif - what are those three books about? I'm looking for new reading material.

arctic grail: the entire history of the search for the Northwest passage. a thick, well-researched book

barren ground: early overland expeditions to the mouth of the Mackenzie river (british and american) to discover the Northwest passage, pretty grim

exploration hoaxes: short stories about expeditions all over the world (cook at Denali, Peary and the north pole, the source of hte nile, adams on the colorado). well written and quite enjoyable.