[TR] Mt McLoughlin - Normal (ski) 5/28/2017

triyoda

Trip: Mt McLoughlin - Normal (ski)

Date: 5/28/2017

Trip Report:

Still lots of snow. Start early, this gets lots of sun. Ideally I think you want to be skiing down by 10:00 am. I bailed at 8000 feet at about 10:15 am. I got a late start (see approach notes).

You probably need GPS to follow the trail (first 2-3 miles), still a lot of snow. I followed a very faint boot track from 2-3 people ahead of me, but was only able to do so based on them being very fresh (like 1 hour). There is no obvious bootpack at this point.

There was still snow on the forest road to the summer trailhead. I got my subaru stuck at 5:15 am and did not get pulled out until 6:45 am. Had to walk an extra 2 miles to the trail head, and did not start at the summer trail head until about 7:55 am, which was too late to summit based on how much sun the route gets. I would expect the road to be fully passable by this weekend or else you can take the back way (NF 3633) as there were cars at the trailhead and this is what they told me.

Approach Notes:

There was still snow on the forest road to the summer trailhead. I got my subaru stuck at 5:15 am and did not get pulled out until 6:45 am. Had to walk an extra 2 miles to the trail head, and did not start at the summer trail head until about 7:55 am, which was too late to summit based on how much sun the route gets. I would expect the road to be fully passable by this weekend or else you can take the back way (NF 3633) as there were cars at the trailhead and this is what they told me.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic