Kid-friendly top-roping in Leavenworth?

NiceNests

It's been way too long since I've climbed in Leavenworth. I'd like to take my 7-year old daughter down for some simple top-roping. 5.easy as she will be climbing in ballet shoes or sneakers. I've got the gear and knowledge to be safe, just looking for a recommendation of an area that might offer a few hours of easy fun. Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are some small kid friendly crags at playground point. (appropriate name) I can't remember the crag name or route but if you walk up the main trail for playground point, go past all the buffed out boulderers and it is the first real crag you get to. I think there are 4 or 5 easy kid climbs on this bolted face. Has a big tree at base to hide from sun and the consequence of a base trip is small. A stumble would result in cuts, scrapes and bruises but still be ok. Lots of l-worth crags have pretty bad bases for squirelly kids who may accidentally stumble around while not roped up.

you can walk around to setup TR.

enjoy!

Barney's Rubble, Roto Wall, Playground Point has a few climbs as Gene mentions, we also regularly TR Mountaineers Dome climbs, and make up a bunch more; it depends on your kid a bit. We started them on all these, then graduated to multi-pitch rock climbs and now the 10-year old is leading easier routes.

Rotowall and Non Vertical Smile areas are good suggestions. FWIW, Alex climbed with me and my daughter starting from when she was quite young, around 6 y.o., (she is now 29) so he has a lot of experience climbing with youngsters, not just his own kids.

I'd second Playground Point just for the ambiance - it has the most comfortable base area, and as you walk through Arnica Glen on the trail up, that's a treat.

If your little lady has been in a gym and had some encounters with steep jug-hauls, she might get a kick out of the cube boulder at Clamshell Cave. It's easy to get a top-rope on it by chimneying between the boulder and a tree on its uphill side.

-Haireball