FS 2060 Clear Ck rd Good, Squire Ck Rd, Not So

hanman

Mostly clear all the way to 8 mile TH (small amount of snow at mile 6), 3:00 rock has typical snow ramp at base. A small sinkhole has developed near the TH, but should be a relatively easy fix.

Squire Creek on the other hand reportedly has a washout 1/2 mile prior to previous years parking lot...

M. Hanna

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Squire Creek Road is clear to the new (as of last year) parking lot.  This winter saw further erosion, another cave-in, 20 feet upstream from the one which cut off the old parking lot.  It can no longer be driven around.  There is a new sign, but nothing blocking the road.

Bill Enger

• 4 months later...

You can thank the multi-interest group (timber industry, enviros, Forest Service, politicians) called the 'Darrington Collaborative' that created a thinning sale north of town that paid for this work! The #2060 was the beneficiary because it is so popular among locals and climbers alike. And climbers have shown their commitment by putting their own efforts into maintaining this road for years, notably some guys named Hanna, Perkins and friends. It's a great story for local climbing access. Unfortunately the road still needs lots more new pipes to stay around for the long term.

I got skunked, but it's worth it.

Edited by curtveld
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I was surprised that two alder logs lay across the Squire Creek Trail #654 all summer long.  They interfered with my bike ride.  So on Thursday,
9/12, I brought up my old Boy Scout hatchet.  After the cut, I dragged them off the road.

Sadly, a big hemlock log remains, bigger than the hatchet could handle in a day!  As tall as my bike frame, it has been there for two summers.

I have some nice photos of this, but I can no longer upload photos here.  I'm asking about that in the "cc.com news" forum.

Bill Enger

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Drove up to Darrington yesterday to check the road conditions.

Clear Creek road: almost blocked by a huge tree 2.5 miles up from the pavement. There is enough room to drive under it, but someone has tried to cut the log with a large chainsaw and failed. Whether there is enough strength left in the log to keep it there while you are up climbing is left to your judgement.

Squire Creek road: clear and even better than last year. You can drive past the cave-in of two years ago without even turning aside. It is just another orange ribbon on the side of the road.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...