Intro to alpine climbing - noobs wanna do Hood?

Ben Beckerich

Howdy

I'm gonna start taking some semi-regular runs up Hood for training purposes, and figured I'd see if there's any noobs interested in getting drug up there. I very much enjoy guiding/teaching/showing new people the ropes in the sport, and don't mind the company sometimes.

But here's the thing.... this is pro bono, me volunteering my time (I can tag the summit and be back to the parking lot in 4 hours, solo... usually takes more like 12 with noobs) to take up new people, and it needs to be around my own schedule.. so I can't really dick around with your schedule. Na'mean? Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but I've run into this in the past where I feel like I'm doing a solid by inviting someone up who's been wanting to climb but hasn't had anyone to take 'em up, and then there's this awkward expectation that I'm going to accommodate all their work/kid/hobby/laziness scheduling requirements and stuff...

So what this will look like is something along the lines of this: I'll happen to have a work schedule/weather forecast coincidence and decide to go up, and I'll let you know with like 1-2 days advance notice, and you'll either be available to go or not... no rescheduling for "next weekend" or any of that crap.. it just doesn't work like that.

Anynwho... if you're interested and can be flexible, shoot me an email, and we can rap

benjaminbeckerich@gmail.com

-Ben

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben,

I have had the privilege of mentoring several young climbers over the last few years. I have found it far more rewarding than any of the challenging routes I've climbed.

I've also had some extraordinarily bad experiences when people find out I climb and guided and expected me to guide them up Rainier. These were affluent, entitled people who felt like it was my responsibility to guide them and their bratty kids up Rainier, gratis.

So, I also fully understand and agree with your policy of "I'm going to climb on this day, you can come with me but I can't accommodate your schedule." Nothing wrong with that at all.