Icicle conditions?

jared_j

How's things looking in the Icicle? I'd like to go cragging soon with my neophyte brother, and was thinking of Icicle Buttress area, Barney's Rubble, or maybe Castle Rock sometime next week after this stretch of clear days. Is stuff all wet / dripping?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not been up there this spring yet but this http://leavenworth.org/weatherwebcams/

Shows a web cam pointing at the mountains from Leavenworth. Seems to me that the rocks facing south and near the entrance to the icicle may be climbable. I would suspect that icicle buttress has snow on descent but rock is dry. Looks like everything on the north facing side is snowy.

As far as being dry after a couple days, most things should be. In the summer and fall, if it rains for a couple hours, it usually dries up fairly quick. what is unknown is the amount of seepage from a long wet winter still draining out. The seeps would be coming out of cracks so I would suggest find face climbs.

I was up in Icicle Creek today. Didn't climb any rock as I was on a mission up to Dragontail but there were 50+ cars parked at various pullouts along the road. Lots of people out climbing and bouldering today. Everything that faces south looks snow free and climbable except for a couple of the higher buttresses. It was 50 degrees and sunny in Leavenworth so even that high snow in the sun isn't going to last long.

I was solo so just hiked up the backside of Dragontail Peak. Snow was hard and crusty all the way to the top....no powder or post holing at all. The trail was pretty icy as well since the freezing level was like 3500 feet on Sunday. The north face of Dragontail looked really good. Lots of ice plastered all over. There were several really cool looking lines that I would have loved to get on. Here are a couple pics.

Dragontail_2.jpg

Closer up, and looking up towards the 1st couloir of TC.

Dragontail_1.jpg

Everything in icicle and Tumwater that doesn't have a snow patch above it was good to go on Sunday.

Triple couloirs was cruiser neve the whole way two weeks ago. Only thing to slow ya down was hitting your max HR. Bringing skis for the descent is pretty essential beta.