Which Hand?

RobBob

This may have been covered in the past, but I don't remember it. I am curious about the percentages of left- versus right-handers in this group.

Count me as a leftie. Our brains are different. cantfocus.gif

My father encouraged me to try golf as a kid. But he bought me right-handed clubs, saying that "some of the best golfers have been lefties that played golf right-handed." I found that to be BS, and (thankfully) never played much golf.

So how 'bout it...left or right?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The figure I recall is that about 10% of the population is left handed. There is evidence for handedness in the animal world too.

I write using my right hand as well as saw and hammer with that hand. I can drive nails left handed, but without as much power.

When climbing, I try not to favor either hand when belaying or rappelling, but use whichever hand makes the most sense given the circumstances. I want to have about the same dexterity in each hand in case one of them becomes injured as, for example, in a rock fall.

I was climbing last summer with a fellow who had dropped a manhole cover on the index finger of his right hand two weeks before. He was so dominant-handed that he tried to belay me using this still heavily bandaged finger. I asked him to belay me with his left hand. I decided I had better not take a leader fall, anyway.

trask brings up a good point. I'm left-handed, and left-eyed shooter as well. I've seen lefties who used shotguns right-handed because their right eye was their lead eye. cantfocus.gif

That's soooo wrong. A total fubar situation. Shooting eye must be the same as shooting hand with a long arm. Not as critical in pistolcraft.

maybe so...I'm only going by claim of another. Now that I think about it, handedness really is an indicator of dominant brain hemisphere isn't it? So the only way someone would switch sides would be if their vision was impaired in what should be their dominant eye...or maybe if they are nearly ambidextrous.

I think it realy depends on a lot of things. I think of myself a s right handed and I lead right when I climb (but can force myself not to when i think about it) but my left arm is more musculare. I believe that is from carrying kids on my left hip so that I could do other things with my right hand.

trask brings up a good point. I'm left-handed, and left-eyed shooter as well. I've seen lefties who used shotguns right-handed because their right eye was their lead eye. cantfocus.gif

That's soooo wrong. A total fubar situation. Shooting eye must be the same as shooting hand with a long arm. Not as critical in pistolcraft.

i am right handed but left eyed. i found this really annoying when shooting an m-16. some people said to put a patch over my left eye. never did get it right cantfocus.gif

I am sure that most of you already know that the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and vice versa. It is also true of the eyes. If you are sitting on one side of a lecture hall taking notes, one eye has a better view of the podium than the other. I've heard it said that if you are left brained and want to comprehend best what you are seeing and hearing, then you should sit on the left side of the lecture hall.

Right-handed. Although the Doctor wears a watch on the right hand (when wearing a watch), and if using a fork and knife together uses the fork in the left hand. Weird. Geek_em8.gif

Don't most people use fork in left when using knife, if right handed??? Maybe it's a Canadian thing too???

I (righty) used to wear watch on right when I was sculling, as the left hand passes over the right, and the buckle messes up the back of your hand. It can catch a bowstring too!

Snoboy piqued my interest re: knife and fork. According to "proper dining etiquette" rules:

"There are two ways to use a knife and fork to cut and eat your food. They are the American style and the European or Continental style. Either style is considered appropriate. In the American style, one cuts the food by holding the knife in the right hand and the fork in the left hand with the fork tines piercing the food to secure it on the plate. Cut a few bite-size pieces of food, then lay your knife across the top edge of your plate with the sharp edge of the blade facing in. Change your fork from your left to your right hand to eat, fork tines facing up. (If you are left-handed, keep your fork in your left hand, tines facing up.) The European or Continental style is the same as the American style in that you cut your meat by holding your knife in your right hand while securing your food with your fork in your left hand. The difference is your fork remains in your left hand, tines facing down, and the knife in your right hand. Simply eat the cut pieces of food by picking them up with your fork still in your left hand."

Last night my kids demonstrated the proper Simian style of dining, eating their spaghetti with fingers only.

Snoboy piqued my interest re: knife and fork. According to "proper dining etiquette" rules:

"There are two ways to use a knife and fork to cut and eat your food. They are the American style and the European or Continental style. Either style is considered appropriate. In the American style, one cuts the food by holding the knife in the right hand and the fork in the left hand with the fork tines piercing the food to secure it on the plate. Cut a few bite-size pieces of food, then lay your knife across the top edge of your plate with the sharp edge of the blade facing in. Change your fork from your left to your right hand to eat, fork tines facing up. (If you are left-handed, keep your fork in your left hand, tines facing up.) The European or Continental style is the same as the American style in that you cut your meat by holding your knife in your right hand while securing your food with your fork in your left hand. The difference is your fork remains in your left hand, tines facing down, and the knife in your right hand. Simply eat the cut pieces of food by picking them up with your fork still in your left hand."

Last night my kids demonstrated the proper Simian style of dining, eating their spaghetti with fingers only.

This post coming from the man who tried to label Dr. Flash Amazing as Dame Edna. Unbelievable!

Now take your elbows off the table, put your napkin in your lap, and for goodness sake stop slouching!