Littlewet Conditions?

Necronomicon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone been out there this week? Still thinking of heading up. Looked at the weather report and it doesn't look excellent, but climbable in "wet" conditions. ALthough, if I believed the weather report and stayed home, then I would never get out and actually climb anything. I checked the "conditions" report, but it only had updates on a few climbs like Icy BC and Deeping Wall. What about other stuff around? Anything in strong but melting? Areas outside Marble worth checking out?

hyalite is outside bozeman, which is about 11 hours from seattle. honestly, you can make banff in that amount of time from seattle. In fact, "a guy I know" has done banff->seattle in about 9 hours, but I will point out this will take a good deal of breakin' the law..

9 hours ?? .. really ?

If that's true that's not bad at all. It took me 12hrs seattle to the upper hyalite parking lot driving as fast as conditions allowed - up to about 85 - with normal stops for gas and such for just a 2 day weekend. So 9 or even 10-11 for banff sounds doable.

- off to mapquest ...

TO: Bozeman, MT US

Total Distance: 676.99 miles Total Estimated Time: 11 hours, 0 minutes

TO: Banff, AB CA

Total Distance: 599.54 miles Total Estimated Time: 15 hours, 40 minutes

.. roads in Canada must be smaller / slower.

Edited by jja

Well?

Ten hours from Bellingham to Banff. If you live in Kirkland and it take fifteen hours, you're a dumbfuck, for a number of different reasons.

Regardless, I'm still looking for some beta on current conditions from the "climbing" community. If you read this, and actually possess information regarding a real, live "climbing" area, Lilloett, British Columbia, Canada, that you've visited recently, please save me from this hell("Which hand do you use when you belay? I use my right hand.") and let me know what you experienced. If you don't know shit, it's obvious enough to everyone, so don't remind us here, please, for my sake.

Yes, the 15 hours is way to much, that's ridiculous. expedia maps says 11:15 which is more realistic. the 9 hour time took good use of the fact that um, "my friends" had a car that was built for the autobahn and thus had no complaints doing 100+ from snowshitty pass to spokane wink.gif

I've done Bellingham to Golden in 7 hours. I consistently go Seattle to Louise in about 10 hours, unless Rogers Pass is a nightmare. Drive at night, not during the day, and you save 2+ hours due to less traffic, less trucks, and less congestion and the border. Banff is really very close, quite reasonable for a 3 day weekend.

UP THROUGH idaho is the best way.

those canadain hwy's dont compare...all windy and shit...plus you gotta drive through some of those towns at a slow pace.

plus they have these beer stops in canada, where the tool wants to take away your beer?!

Yup...through Sandpoint, ID is the best way to go. The roads are usually better for driving fast. The only problem is the border patrol guy will usually want to pull you over to search your car, because it's the most fun he's had in hours.

And don't forget you bump ahead one hour when you head to either Banff or Hyalite.

I actually drive the 1 to Hope, Coquihalla highway to Kamloops, and the 1 to Golden and to Louise from there. I usually climb the first day in Golden or Field, so I only get to Louise after the first day of climbing, if I am going up the parkway.

Sometimes it depends on the weather: I believe the US highways are not maintained as well during snowy weather, and the driving is much slower than the 1, except if Rogers Pass is getting dumped on really hard. The last 4 times I've gone, I've pretty much driven through the night, and the only place the 1 is slow at all is through Salmon Arm on Shuswap Lake. The rest of it is fast.

To get to Experts Choice, Gibraltar Wall, or Radium climbs, I would agree Sand Point is probably a little faster.

Ultimately I dont think it makes much difference, though