REI - What does it take to de a director?

cj001f

So I've decided that I want to run to be a director of REI, since as a member, and therefore part owner, I dislike the path

REI's taking. I'd like to realign them to provide services more along the lines of MEC, i.e. reasonably priced house brand outdoor gear.

I've looked on the website, and I can't find anything suggesting how I can enter my name to run for the board of directors. Anyone out there know?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is, you have to know the right people. REI is just a corporation like all the other ones out there.

Except it's not a corporation - it's a co-op. Any and all members have an ownership stake in REI, and any and all members are eligible to elect the Board Members.

Except it's not a corporation - it's a co-op. Any and all members have an ownership stake in REI, and any and all members are eligible to elect the Board Members.

So, we can just make a comparison, a member is just like a shareholder of a corporation. All shareholders are eligible to elect the board members. So REI's model is pretty close to the same as a corporation, they just call it a co-op. REI is just out to make profits now.

"So, we can just make a comparison, a member is just like a shareholder of a corporation. All shareholders are eligible to elect the board members. So REI's model is pretty close to the same as a corporation, they just call it a co-op. REI is just out to make profits now. "

Similar yes, but with the important difference that for a corporation: 1 share = 1 vote, whereas for a Co-Op 1 member = 1 vote.

Similar yes, but with the important difference that for a corporation: 1 share = 1 vote, whereas for a Co-Op 1 member = 1 vote.

And how many of those votes are people who care about reasonably priced house brand outdoor gear, and how many are yuppies that care about their image. I am sure the number of yuppies keeps growing fast, and the real outdoor enthusiast is not.

Edited by rr666

"And how many of those votes are people who care about reasonably priced house brand outdoor gear, and how many are yuppies that care about their image. I am sure the number of yuppies keeps growing fast, and the real outdoor enthusiast is not. "

I'm not going to disagree with you. I think the board (membership quoted below) is not particularly representative of either group.

Chairman, Tom Harville, Edmonds, Wash.: Former retail chairman and CEO, community volunteer (2004)

Vice Chairman, Fran Conley, Seattle, Wash.: Founder and president, financial consulting firm (2004)

Anne Farrell, Seattle, Wash.: President, philanthropic foundation (2004)

Catherine Walker, Seattle, Wash.: Vice president for administration, private university (2004)

Charles Katz, Jr., Palo Alto, Calif.: Private investor and retired high-technology executive (2003)

Bill Britt, Anchorage, Alaska: State pipeline coordinator—state of Alaska (2003)

Joanne Harrell, Seattle, Wash.: General manager, software enterprise group business management (2003)*

Doug McCallum, Redmond, Wash.: Owner—financial advisory firm (2005)

Doug Walker, Seattle, Wash.: Chairman and CEO—software company (2005)

Angel Rodriguez, Joseph, Ore.: Semi-retired and enjoying the outdoors (2005)

Dennis Madsen, Mercer Island, Wash.: REI President and CEO (board position by virtue of position)

Michael Smith, Seattle, Wash.: CEO internet retailer (one-year appointment)

Sally Jewell, Seattle, Wash.: REI COO (one-year appointment)

"So REI's model is pretty close to the same as a corporation, they just call it a co-op. "

What do the letters REI stand for? cantfocus.gif

CJ - Go for it. I always thought that it would be a fun thing to do. I agree REI has certainly changed over the years and not in a direction that I would have chosen.

Erik - One of those members of the BOD is from my very limited experience a pretty good guy. I know he has been climbing for years and had contributed much to climbing issues. Not to mention paying the wages of many climbers. Not sure what kinda car he drives but if his wife pulled into a climbing parking lot her car would be way less flashy and spendy than many of the hip young climbers.

PP bigdrink.gif

Edited by Peter_Puget

I also know a board member and she's not at all a yuppie. She's a real outdoors person, and drives the standard issue subbie.

In any case, having to justify her status as a non-yuppie is pretty ridiculous. Can't someone be successful in their chosen career and still have the best interests of their passion (outdoors) in mind when sitting on a board?

Does the fact that these folks are successful in business exclude them from the climbing fraternity?

I'm all for people being motivated enough to promote change through participation. If someone wants to pursue a seat on the board, then that's great. However, do we need to dismiss everyone on the present board as yuppies because of their job or the car they drive?

I thought that is what made some one a yuppie.... the car they drive and their job...

but thats just me. maybe you are not a yuppie if you actualy take care of your own child 2 days a week, and your car is at least 1 year old tongue.gif

it is called pointing out the obvious. i in no wat stated that it is bad to be succesful. though these succesful bidness people tend to bring their practices along with them. so in turn r.e. & i moves away from a co-op and into a succesful fleece retalier!!!

all these people seem to be from a simliar mold(note: gatherd that from reading their profiles) wo why anyone with less succesful bidness attributes??? i know plety of driven people who are extremly succesful and care little of monetary success and more for personal growth and gain?

nevermind........

So if a good portion of the board are good people (and I totally believe this), why is REI continues down the path that it does? I think it's obvious that house name gear is where the stand the biggest chance of saving us money, but their house name gear is what lacks the most.

You won’t get my vote. I’d rather see REI give up on house gear altogether. Leave the design, testing and manufacturing duties to companies that can specialize in making coats, boats and bikes and get back to selling well made gear at better than average prices. Saving members money by making larger purchase orders is why REI was formed in the first place, wasn’t it?

As it stands now, REI is in competition with the companies that just want to design and build great gear. REI has no incentive to make a truly kick-ass parka, they only have to de-design one, so that it sells at a slightly lower price point than a Marmot, Patagonia or Arcteryx, where the truly innovative design ideas are coming from. IMO, that’s a recipe for mediocrity, lowering the bar for all gear design. When has REI ever tried to put a piece of gear “over the top” design-wise, like Arcteryx did?

I’ve never seen any MEI stuff, but from what I’ve heard it’s pretty good.

If I recall correctly, REI members get to vote on the board in a notice sent along with their dividend checks- which should arrive sometime soon. I've never bothered to vote, so I don't know the details, but will check the ballot when I get it in the mail and post what I find here.