Top roped soloing - what's your favorite device?

Terminal_Gravity

Ive heard petzl Shunt works great for self belay but feed is not quite as smooth as Ushba.

The shunt doens't feed that badly, but I didn't like using it because of the slippage when loaded - it went a couple of inches down the rope before it stopped(not the most reassuring feeling in the world)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you're going to be on less than vertical terrain where there is a chance you might trap the device between your body and the rock in a fall, consider getting a device where the camming action is internal or shielded. For example if you fall on a gri-gri such that there is no room for the lever to swing out it will not catch on the rope. I believe Petzl Shunts have a similar weakness.

I've heard the same thing -- ascenders and lead soloing do not mix!

If I wanted to lead solo I would shell out the dough for a fancy device built specifically for that purpose (Soloist or Silent Partner).

I have led solo aid using clove hitches, but I don't know if it's possible to lead solo like that; and even if it's possible, I don't know that I would...

I like the silent partner for solo leading, though I have only used it once, you just can't try to make a big quick move, as the unit will cam and lock on ya (pulling out a few arm lengths before the move solved this problem).

I figured those devices cannot be used SAFELY for solo leading, but I thought I would ask to make sure.

Like Mark Twight says in Extreme Alpinism - "There is a way to modify a GriGri to make a device that can be used as a solo belay device for a free climbing leader, but I wont tell you how to do it here, nor will anyone else. If you need to do it you will figure it out." hahaha.gif

I've TR soloed with a Petzl Expedition clipped between my harness and a webbing chest harness. It works pretty well and I don't do anything way out of my league. Downside is there's no redundancy unless I add a prusik, but that would foul the smooth feeding of the ascender.

That is what I usually use. Make sure to clip the biner into the device properly (see Putzl site or instructions), it will keep it from jumping off the rope, and feed easier. If you still want backup, then tie a loose prusik above the ascender. It will be pushed up by the ascender.

I don't bother with the chest harness though.

• 1 month later...

I have experimented a LOT with solo top-rope systems, my current favorite setup uses the Ushba unit clipped to my belay loop with a DMM Belay-Master carabiner, on a Stratos rope. I back it up with a Petzl Mini-Traxion on a foot-long runner girth-hitched to my harness, so it rides on the rope about a foot below the Ushba ascender (also clipped in with a Belay-Master). I even modified the Mini-Traxion so the cam cannot be locked open (easy mod with a Dremel, just cut the notch of on the outer plate). Weight the rope a few feet off the ground with a water bottle and the extra rope coiled up. Mega bomber, rides smooth, easy to set up, no chest harness, backed up with another type and brand of ascender. I would strongly recommend against using only one ascender, weird shit happens; if it does you die. Have fun!

I would have to agree on the Ushba ascender. I've been using mine for years now and I love it, its great for doing laps and training. I also like it for doing and making problems higher up the wall where most of the boulders wont go, plus mainly because it doesn't wear on rope like the other ascenders that use teeth do. If your looking to buy one or look at it Nelson's shop in the U-district usually carries it.

• 1 month later...

There is some good info now available on www.buildering.net about roped sololo devices.

Did you know that an Ushba will cleanly sever the rope at a 5 kN force level!! shocked.gif So its safe to use for TR (max realistic force you will gennerate is about 1.8 kN) but NOT for leading

If you can find a Troll copy called a Roller, it is safer, begins to slide a bit a 3kN and so does not cut the rope, apparently.

The Yates rocker is similar to the ushba and feeds very smoothly, better than the petzl shunt or what ever it is their TRS device is called. It was recently rated tops in one of the british climbing mags. It does feed smoother, seems to have the minimal rope drag.- it works by bending the rope, no teeth.

the silent partner is the only device specifically designed for solo lead climbing; all other self belay devices are for TRS only, although this won't prevent a climber from jury rigging a system acceptable to their level of risk.

OOOPs. Rocker not Roller. The Troll is the Yates I believe. Yates is USA only and Troll is Wild Country's budget arm.

Its just the Ushba with a few tweaks. I dont think you can get the Ushba in the UK anyways.