Is Climbing Masochistic?

Lucky Larry

Well, but of course my dear Watson. I have always felt there is an element of masochistic tendencies to climbing, especially when I pursued it in spite of being injured. Of course, that may have been sheer stupidity on my part; something I have never had a lack of. Years ago I was following a fellow on an ice climb. He was out of view and hadn't moved for quite some time. Later, after we got off, he told me that he wasn't able to get a tool out because he had placed it too well. As he was telling me the story, I was screaming as my hands began to thaw out. Still later, both of my wrists felt strained and pained me. I swore to myself I would never go ice climbing again! An oath I continued to make for many years after close calls while free solo rock climbing.

Steck made a solo ascent of Annapurna in 2014. A couple dudes repeated a few days afterwards. Steck got off without injuries even though he had dropped one of his heavier gloves. They did not. One fellow lost toes and parts of fingers. They were both experienced guides.

I enjoyed free climbing rock in the sun and warmth. Krazy Kenny would climb even when the temps were in the 90's--not for me though.

As my back continued to get worse, the realization that my climbing days were over came home when my back went out while just getting into the bath tub. In my Earlier Daze I had declined to go up the Nose fearful that I might have to be rescued if my back went south. HEE HAW!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic